Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default OT - What should I about tow truck damage?

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any...

My son drove my car into a ditch. The tow truck operator winched it out,
but slightly damaged a panel. He pointed it out and said it was
unavoidable. It isn't much, but any sheet metal damage is expensive to fix.

Legally his position is untenable. If the damage was unavoidable he should
have advised my son first and gotten authorization to do it; but he didn't
say a word about possible damage, he simply gave my son a price and went to
work. That is adequate to show negligence and liability in small claims
court.

But I don't want to be a jerk about this. If it truly was unavoidable
(except perhaps by means that would have cost more than the damage) then I
don't want to hassle him.

On the other hand, if the tow truck operator screwed up and carelessly
damaged my car, I don't want to be chump and absorb the loss.

You see the dilemma? Any advice here? No, no, I mean helpful advice...