Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ

Default Temporary Loss of Hot Water Pressure

I have a 2003 Rheem Natural Gas Water heater. The weather here has gotten
extremely cold and my mother and I installed some foam pipe insulation on
the cold water supply line into the water heater. She had some trouble
getting some of the insulation to stay and was bumping the ball valve which
controls the water flow to the water heater.

Immediately after we finished this, I checked the hot water pressure on all
the faucets and it was a trickle. After opening all the hot water faucets in
the house, it took less than 45 seconds for full pressure to be restored.
I went outside and turned the ball valve on and off several times. Then I
checked the hot water pressure again and all seems to be fine. I have
checked underneath the house and it is dry no leaks so far as I can tell.

It has been a few hours since this happened, but the water pressure seems to
be o.k.

Should I stay alert to this situation or could we have knocked the ball
valve partially closed and it took a few minutes for the pressure regulate
itself.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

CJ wrote:

[...]

Maybe there was a bit of ice in the cold water feed?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ

"CJT" wrote in message
CJ wrote:

[...]

The cold water pressure has remained constant the whole time. How would a
bit of ice get in the cold water feed? Sorry to seem so stupid, but I have
lived in the desert for 5 years and moved to the mountains late this spring.

Do I have to run the water to keep it from freezing or can I drip both the
hot and cold water to prevent freezing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

CJ wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

CJ wrote:

[...]

You said it was very cold, and the insulation was in need of repair --
that suggested freezing of the line. It wouldn't have to freeze solid
if a small bit of ice formed and then broke loose, temporarily clogging
the valve -- just a thought.

Do I have to run the water to keep it from freezing or can I drip both the
hot and cold water to prevent freezing.

Every situation is different, but down here in Texas where the
insulation on water lines is generally poor, we drip the faucets
(hot and cold) on especially cold nights.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:17:49 -0700, "CJ" wrote:

I have a 2003 Rheem Natural Gas Water heater. The weather here has gotten
extremely cold and my mother and I installed some foam pipe insulation on
the cold water supply line into the water heater.

The indoor cold water pipe into the WH? someone will correct me
tomorrow if I'm wrong, but istm that that would just keep the water as
cold as it was when it came into the basement. Why not let it warm
up a little once it is in the house, so it's prewarmed a bit for the
WH. Unless you are trying to save on fuel, and want the cold water as
cold as possible.

She had some trouble
getting some of the insulation to stay and was bumping the ball valve which
controls the water flow to the water heater.

Immediately after we finished this, I checked the hot water pressure on all
the faucets and it was a trickle. After opening all the hot water faucets in
the house, it took less than 45 seconds for full pressure to be restored.

Was t he pressure low for 45 seconds or was it spitting out water,
with bursts of air in the middle. If the first, I guess CJT is right
about the ice.

P&M reply to the newsgroup.

I went outside and turned the ball valve on and off several times. Then I
checked the hot water pressure again and all seems to be fine. I have
checked underneath the house and it is dry no leaks so far as I can tell.

It has been a few hours since this happened, but the water pressure seems to
be o.k.

Should I stay alert to this situation or could we have knocked the ball
valve partially closed and it took a few minutes for the pressure regulate
itself.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

--

The cold water pressure has remained constant the whole time. How would a
bit of ice get in the cold water feed?

The ice doesn't "get in". There is water in there, and when it gets
cold enough, it turns to ice.

Sorry to seem so stupid, but I have
lived in the desert for 5 years and moved to the mountains late this spring.

Do I have to run the water to keep it from freezing or can I drip both the
hot and cold water to prevent freezing.

Wouldn't hurt, at least tonight until you have this all figured out.

My incoming water is underground and never freezes. Once in the house
it won't freeze unless the house gets too cold.

I've only let it drip once, when I was going to Texas in the winter,
and I was almost out of oil, and fighting with my oil company.

I was leaving the next day, so I went to anotehr company, gave them my
credit card and told them to fill me up. They said they would. But,
on principle, that doens't prove they will. So I left it dripping.

When I got back the place was warm enough, but I ran out of oil a week
later. They had never come, and never called. The credit card was
good, and they lost a sale. I did the right thing by not assuming
they would come as agreed and by letting the faucet(s?) drip.

I meant to call and complain but didn't get around to it.

P&M reply to newsgroup

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ

Was t he pressure low for 45 seconds or was it spitting out water,
with bursts of air in the middle. If the first, I guess CJT is right
about the ice.

It was spitting out water with burstsof air in the middle but the pressure
was low at first and then start normalizing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

CJ wrote:
I have a 2003 Rheem Natural Gas Water heater. The weather here has
gotten extremely cold and my mother and I installed some foam pipe
insulation on the cold water supply line into the water heater.

I believe this is the cause of the problem. If you insulated the supply
line to the heater inside the home, it may have allowed the line to freeze.

Inside, I am assuming is above freezing. That will warm the pipe. The
heat will travel through the pipe towards any cold spots (likely outside
close to the home) and warm them. Insulating the pipe is preventing that
warming which may have kept that pipe from freezing in the past.

I would guess it only partly froze and allowing the water to flow would
have brought in some water above freezing and thawed the partial ice block.
You may even want to add heat tape to the pipe on the inside after removing
that insulation. Insulation on the outlet side of the heater should be
fine.

[...]

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:29:11 -0700, "CJ" wrote:

Was t he pressure low for 45 seconds or was it spitting out water,
with bursts of air in the middle. If the first, I guess CJT is right
about the ice.

It was spitting out water with burstsof air in the middle

Well that means something, but I have no experience with this and
don't know what it means.

but the pressure
was low at first and then start normalizing.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM