Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat in Atlanta

Default The Plumber

I'm the person who asked about how much a plumber would usually charge to
replace an existing faucet in a tub/shower with the customer providing the
fixture. He said they don't charge by the hour but by the job and this
would cost $400.

My husband's in the wrong business.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
. ..
I'm the person who asked about how much a plumber would usually charge to
replace an existing faucet in a tub/shower with the customer providing the
fixture. He said they don't charge by the hour but by the job and this
would cost $400.

My husband's in the wrong business.

I got three quotes for the exact same work, involving the replacement of
some iron pipe in my basement with PVC. This was not emergency work - they
could've planned it any way they want. The numbers:

$1900.00
$1400.00
$ 550.00

What's interesting is that the guy who provided the middle number did pretty
much the same job in my previous home for around $600.00 two years ago. His
explanation for the difference: "Travel charges - I was already at your
house for something else". Eight hundred in travel charges? The guy lives a
mile away, not in South America!

They charge whatever they want.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
. ..
I'm the person who asked about how much a plumber would usually charge to
replace an existing faucet in a tub/shower with the customer providing the
fixture. He said they don't charge by the hour but by the job and this
would cost $400.

I find plumbers charge wildly differing prices, so I get several estimates,
and I tend to stay away from by-the-job quotes, once you think you have
found a competent and honest plumber. Our plumber charges by the hour, gives
significant discounts if there is additional work found that needs doing
while he is here. Best to talk to neighbors, get some names. I tend to stick
with independent small-business plumbers that own their own business, and
work out of their trucks, with low overhead and no "storefront". I also
reduce costs by buying fixtures, etc, via the Internet, then disassembling
existing connections or appliances to make access easier and chargeable time
shorter, and so forth.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

[...]

Especially when it's a couple of lazy dumb ****s like you!

In this world of DIY, that is one of the easier tasks. Anyone that can't
pick up a pamphlet (free at most stores) or look on line on how to do simple
plumming DESERVES to be charged out the ass.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Easy there, the OP is a person who was following up on his first
posting on behalf of an elderly lady and the second post was a guy with
a somewhat larger scope of work than a simple change of a faucet. Both
are probably within an average DIYer's capability, but I wouldn't
expect my grandmother to change out her bathtub faucet (of course,
there's no shortage of family members who would do that for her,
including myself).

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

oops, make that "the OP is a person who was following up on HER first
posting..."

Sorry, Pat - just noticed the "my husband is in the wrong business"
comment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Red Neckerson" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the tip. Keep in mind, though, that some of us are gainfully
employed and don't have time to spend a whole day (or two) on a major
project. You, on the other hand, could do this job at a time when Jerry
Springer is in re-runs and you're not too busy banging your mother or sister
or whoever you guess she is this week.

Keep up the good work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

[...]

But you want to deprive a plummer of his right to work?

**** you and your family too....

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Red Neckerson wrote:

In this world of DIY, that is one of the easier tasks. Anyone that can't
pick up a pamphlet (free at most stores) or look on line on how to do simple
plumming DESERVES to be charged out the ass.....

Plumming is picking a particular fruit from trees. Plumbing is work
that involves pipes and water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

[...]

At least I can accurately identify mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Commodore Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:10:03 GMT, "Red Neckerson"
wrote:

[...]

I guess it's only fair that since you've been ****ing your family, (when
you
can't find a goat that's willing) Doug should **** his family?

I'll have you know I **** sheep and not goats.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Heap big douchebag.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

[...]

I can identify your's too. Especially your mom (I just look for the hairy
back)....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

My husband's in the wrong business.

Your in the right business if you can afford it. That's the one I want to

be in, I'll trade in my pipe wrenches any day

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

I think they charge what they can get. Get
enough people to believe that need to pay 3-4
times what is reasonable and that is exactly what
they will be charging. Shoot, I think I'll just
repair a couple of things around my house each
month. I'll make more than I did before I retired!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

George E. Cawthon wrote:

I think they charge what they can get. Get
enough people to believe that need to pay 3-4
times what is reasonable and that is exactly what
they will be charging.

What sort of philosphy is that? Next you'll be telling me that the
three different gas stations at the same interesection didn't come up
with identical pricing on their own!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
His explanation for the difference: "Travel charges - I was already at
your house for something else". Eight hundred in travel charges? The guy
lives a mile away, not in South America!

Very possible. You made a payment on the new Porsche he was traveling in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bg

Funny how a simple question from someone that might really need some
guidance ends up in the toilet by a bunch of people.
(a plumbing joke....)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

Today I checked on replacing thermostat on my car.

The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below
the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is
$5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00

Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab.

I am in the wrong business.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I think they charge what they can get. Get
enough people to believe that need to pay 3-4
times what is reasonable and that is exactly what
they will be charging.

What sort of philosphy is that? Next you'll be telling me that the
three different gas stations at the same interesection didn't come up
with identical pricing on their own!

You can see all their prices when you're stopped at the red light. Not quite
the same as with plumbers. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
His explanation for the difference: "Travel charges - I was already at
your house for something else". Eight hundred in travel charges? The guy
lives a mile away, not in South America!

Very possible. You made a payment on the new Porsche he was traveling in.

OK. Australia, then.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

[...]

I'll bet you wouldn't work "all day or two" for $400.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

RicodJour wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I think they charge what they can get. Get
enough people to believe that need to pay 3-4
times what is reasonable and that is exactly what
they will be charging.

What sort of philosphy is that? Next you'll be telling me that the
three different gas stations at the same interesection didn't come up
with identical pricing on their own!

No, they might have, OTOH, the price they pay for
gas, an their other costs may all be nearly
identical. However, gas station prices are a bit
anomalous compared to many stores/products.

Even more difficult to comprehend is how 3 highly
different prices at the same corner (and I have
seen that with price differences as much as 25
cents (when gas was around $1.50 per gallon would
indicate that the prices were based on some other
consideration.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

3rd eye wrote:
On 13 Dec 2005 18:57:18 -0800, "Brian" wrote:

Today I checked on replacing thermostat on my car.

The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below
the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is
$5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00

Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab.

I am in the wrong business.

Then fix it yourself.

If you don't break a bolt off it'll be easy.
What could go wrong?

I do! Except for changing a thermostat on my
Explorer. Three bolts, all hard to get at, and
three different sized heads, one of which I could
not fit any SAE or metric socket or box end on.
Another Ford better idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

Today I checked on replacing thermostat on my car.

The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below
the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is
$5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00
Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab.
I am in the wrong business.

Then fix it yourself.

If you don't break a bolt off it'll be easy.
What could go wrong?

Wife, it is always a woman.

She thinks that spilled a/f in the garage could poison
the dogs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat in Atlanta

The person who was the subject of my initial post is 72 years old and in a
wheel chair. I suggest you withhold judgement until you know the facts.
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

news:rJydnelWDJu1sALenZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@comcast. com...

[...]

What happened to adding, "And the horse you rode in on" ?

Shoosh, this place is beginning to sound like a middle school cafeteria.

You guys should just direct each other to:

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Jeff (Not being serious here...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Suzie-Q

-
- The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below
- the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is
- $5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00
- Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab.
- I am in the wrong business.
-
- Then fix it yourself.
-
- If you don't break a bolt off it'll be easy.
- What could go wrong?
-
- Wife, it is always a woman.
-
- She thinks that spilled a/f in the garage could poison
- the dogs.

She's right. Many animals die horribly from drinking "spilled" anti-freeze.
http://www.cah.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Red Neckerson wrote:

[...]

LOL

I use that web site quite a bit...

;-]

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Suzie-Q wrote:
In article . com,
"Brian" wrote:

- Today I checked on replacing thermostat on my car.
-
- The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below
- the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is
- $5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00
- Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab.
- I am in the wrong business.
-
- Then fix it yourself.
-
- If you don't break a bolt off it'll be easy.
- What could go wrong?
-
- Wife, it is always a woman.
-
- She thinks that spilled a/f in the garage could poison
- the dogs.

She's right. Many animals die horribly from drinking "spilled" anti-freeze.
http://www.cah.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html

True. The more important question is why would
anyone have spilled antifreeze in a garage and not
clean it up immediately or at least before any
animal could get to it?