Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

Default The Plumber

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Red Neckerson" wrote in message
news:9dHnf.16320$hB6.5379@trnddc05...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
. ..
I'm the person who asked about how much a plumber would usually charge
replace an existing faucet in a tub/shower with the customer providing
the
fixture. He said they don't charge by the hour but by the job and this
would cost $400.

My husband's in the wrong business.

I got three quotes for the exact same work, involving the replacement of
some iron pipe in my basement with PVC. This was not emergency work -
they could've planned it any way they want. The numbers:

$1900.00
$1400.00
$ 550.00

What's interesting is that the guy who provided the middle number did
pretty much the same job in my previous home for around $600.00 two
years ago. His explanation for the difference: "Travel charges - I was
already at your house for something else". Eight hundred in travel
charges? The guy lives a mile away, not in South America!

They charge whatever they want.

Especially when it's a couple of lazy dumb ****s like you!

Thanks for the tip. Keep in mind, though, that some of us are gainfully
employed and don't have time to spend a whole day (or two) on a major
project. You, on the other hand, could do this job at a time when Jerry
Springer is in re-runs and you're not too busy banging your mother or
sister or whoever you guess she is this week.

Keep up the good work.

I'll bet you wouldn't work "all day or two" for $400.