Posted to alt.home.repair
peppyjd

Default Brand new oil furnace extremely smelly

Hi all,

Loving this group and exchanges, which I found when I learned my 35
year old oil furnace needed replacing. Yesterday, it was replaced it
with a new heat pump (never have had one) and a new high efficiency
Trane oil furnace. Last night, I turned it off (the oil) after being
on an hour (very cold house) because the fumes were terrible---causing
watery eyes, scratchy throat and headache. Turned it back on this
morning for a bit, and again, the odor was terrible. It seems start
when the air actually starts coming through the vents. Is this normal
for a new furnace in terms of initial start-up? Are there any
questions I should ask the contractor? Could anyone recommend a good
CO detector beyond the Lowes/home depot types? Thank you very much in
advance...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"peppyjd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Loving this group and exchanges, which I found when I learned my 35
year old oil furnace needed replacing. Yesterday, it was replaced it
with a new heat pump (never have had one) and a new high efficiency
Trane oil furnace. Last night, I turned it off (the oil) after being
on an hour (very cold house) because the fumes were terrible---causing
watery eyes, scratchy throat and headache. Turned it back on this
morning for a bit, and again, the odor was terrible. It seems start
when the air actually starts coming through the vents. Is this normal
for a new furnace in terms of initial start-up? Are there any
questions I should ask the contractor? Could anyone recommend a good
CO detector beyond the Lowes/home depot types? Thank you very much in
advance...

Here's a fairly decent CO detector:

http://www.bacharach-inc.com/monoxor_iii.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do not waste time here on such a situation. Get the vendor/installer
there immediately, have him identify the source of the problem, and fix
it to your satisfaction. Or, if your cousin Vinny set it up, get
somebody competent to make it right, NOW. CO is certainly not your only
concern.

Tell us about the details later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

oups.com...
:
: Tell us about the details later.
:
: J
:
That's excellent advice. Usually in installed system is
"de-smelled", too, when it's installed. If the fumes are as
toxic as described, then it's not just hot paint & plastics.
Either way, the time to get pro help is now.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sherman

On 13 Dec 2005 04:10:25 -0800, "peppyjd" wrote:

Hi all,

Loving this group and exchanges, which I found when I learned my 35
year old oil furnace needed replacing. Yesterday, it was replaced it
with a new heat pump (never have had one) and a new high efficiency
Trane oil furnace. Last night, I turned it off (the oil) after being
on an hour (very cold house) because the fumes were terrible---causing
watery eyes, scratchy throat and headache. Turned it back on this
morning for a bit, and again, the odor was terrible. It seems start
when the air actually starts coming through the vents. Is this normal
for a new furnace in terms of initial start-up? Are there any
questions I should ask the contractor? Could anyone recommend a good
CO detector beyond the Lowes/home depot types? Thank you very much in
advance...

Go shopping for a few hours and let it run with the windows open. It
will have cleared up completely by the time you get back.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"peppyjd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Loving this group and exchanges, which I found when I learned my 35
year old oil furnace needed replacing. Yesterday, it was replaced it
with a new heat pump (never have had one) and a new high efficiency
Trane oil furnace. Last night, I turned it off (the oil) after being
on an hour (very cold house) because the fumes were terrible---causing
watery eyes, scratchy throat and headache. Turned it back on this
morning for a bit, and again, the odor was terrible. It seems start
when the air actually starts coming through the vents. Is this normal
for a new furnace in terms of initial start-up? Are there any
questions I should ask the contractor? Could anyone recommend a good
CO detector beyond the Lowes/home depot types? Thank you very much in
advance...

I have yet to see one of the new furnaces we have installed NOT stink (or
set of the smoke alarm!). It's the oils and such on the heat exchanger that
are burning off. At this time of the year, with the house closed up, it will
take a while to make it go away. It WILL go away, though. If you are really
concerned (which is understandable) call the installer back out and have him
check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On 13 Dec 2005 04:10:25 -0800, "peppyjd" wrote:

Hi all,

Loving this group and exchanges, which I found when I learned my 35
year old oil furnace needed replacing. Yesterday, it was replaced it
with a new heat pump (never have had one) and a new high efficiency
Trane oil furnace. Last night, I turned it off (the oil) after being
on an hour (very cold house) because the fumes were terrible---causing
watery eyes, scratchy throat and headache. Turned it back on this
morning for a bit, and again, the odor was terrible. It seems start
when the air actually starts coming through the vents. Is this normal
for a new furnace in terms of initial start-up? Are there any
questions I should ask the contractor? Could anyone recommend a good
CO detector beyond the Lowes/home depot types? Thank you very much in
advance...

Sounds like you are describing more than a "first-time-run" furnace.
Get them back right away. While they are there, have them recheck the
setup of the burner. They should be able to give you all the flue
readings if you ask. It should have been setup by someone with a
digital combustion analyzer, draft and smoke readings and temps. If it
wasnt, you'll never know if it is burning efficiently.
If you want a good CO detector, go to:
www.coexperts.com They arent cheap and they are good.
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair
peppyjd

Hi all, and thank you for your thoughts. The contractor (who installed
the system and who has been in heating/air 22 yrs) was back out
yesterday morning to complete the job.

His opinion was that it was a new-burn smell, given that the heat
exchanger and other parts are coated in an oil during the manufacturing
process. He expected this would go away within 6-8 hours of continuous
running. He also thought that the sore throat/scratchiness could be do
to small particles of fiberglass in the ducts as I had quite a bit of
new ductwork installed.

The original owner did an odd thing, which was to run the flue beside
the chimney through the basement, and finally have it enter the chimney
in the bedroom. I have gotten numerous suggestions on what should be
done from the home inspector to other heating/air contractors.
However, when part of the flue was replaced in the basement during
installation Monday, it jostled some of the cement furnace sealer so
that it cracked and was no longer secured either at the floor or where
the flue enters the chimney. This didn't get fixed until the
contractor came back yesterday, potentially allowing exhaust gases into
the house during the inital run.

He did reaply cement, but I wonder if this is a permanent fix.

Came home yesterday and all the animals are still alive. The smell
lingers, as it was very strong, but it is not blowing through the vents
anymore. Suggestions to leave windows open was a good idea. At this
point, there is an odor that, as others have described, smells like a
deisel truck on start up. The contractor is coming back tomorrow a.m.
for follow-up, and said that he will check out any persisting smells.

Posted to alt.home.repair
peppyjd

....also (from me the OP), my old oil furnace rarely had an oil smell
associated unless I had just fired it up for start of season, or oil
tank was getting low, or had just been filled.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"peppyjd" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If its really smelling like a diesel truck, then somethings wrong, since you
are basically burning diesel....
You should never smell oil, or anything that resembles oil when they fire,
or run.
As far as the "new smell"...gone within 10 minutes of run time...anything on
the heat exchanger is burned off in the first 90 seconds or so of burn time,
and its gone...if it was painted, its set rock hard...if its a copper
sprayed ThermoPride, its got an odd smell that stays for a while, but its
not due to any oil..
Im thinking you either have a real sensitive snazz, or you have an issue
that your installing contractor either caused, or cant find....

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

peppyjd wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the return info. Often the OP (you)
never returns or reports on the remedy. As long
as you have a good contractor you shouldn't have
any worry. Bet that wasn't fiberglass that caused
the throat irritation. Burn products especially
at new burn in can easily cause throat
irrigations. Best result with any item that gets
hot (even a small electric heater) is to have
plenty of ventilation during the first hour or two
of operation. Staying alert, like you have, is a
good thing. Good Luck.