Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

Default Brand new oil furnace extremely smelly

On 13 Dec 2005 04:10:25 -0800, "peppyjd" wrote:

Hi all,

Loving this group and exchanges, which I found when I learned my 35
year old oil furnace needed replacing. Yesterday, it was replaced it
with a new heat pump (never have had one) and a new high efficiency
Trane oil furnace. Last night, I turned it off (the oil) after being
on an hour (very cold house) because the fumes were terrible---causing
watery eyes, scratchy throat and headache. Turned it back on this
morning for a bit, and again, the odor was terrible. It seems start
when the air actually starts coming through the vents. Is this normal
for a new furnace in terms of initial start-up? Are there any
questions I should ask the contractor? Could anyone recommend a good
CO detector beyond the Lowes/home depot types? Thank you very much in
advance...

Sounds like you are describing more than a "first-time-run" furnace.
Get them back right away. While they are there, have them recheck the
setup of the burner. They should be able to give you all the flue
readings if you ask. It should have been setup by someone with a
digital combustion analyzer, draft and smoke readings and temps. If it
wasnt, you'll never know if it is burning efficiently.
If you want a good CO detector, go to:
www.coexperts.com They arent cheap and they are good.
Bubba