Posted to alt.home.repair
rile

Default Gang switches

What does the NEC say about wiring multiple gang switches using one
continuos conductor with the wire stripped just enough to coil around
the screw and then continued to the next switch? I've seen this in old
wiring but not sure if it is still OK by code.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

It's probably the best and neatest way to bridge the feed to multiple
switches. An alternative would be pigtails to a wirenut

"rile" wrote in message
ups.com...
What does the NEC say about wiring multiple gang switches using one
continuos conductor with the wire stripped just enough to coil around
the screw and then continued to the next switch? I've seen this in old
wiring but not sure if it is still OK by code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Dec 2005 23:01:35 -0800, "rile" wrote:

What does the NEC say about wiring multiple gang switches using one
continuos conductor with the wire stripped just enough to coil around
the screw and then continued to the next switch? I've seen this in old
wiring but not sure if it is still OK by code.

If your switches are in a gang, you really should have the police
check them. They might be carrying guns and doing drugs.

Seriously, I have never seen anything in the code to say you can't do
this. I have done it all my life, and I feel this is the BEST way to
do it. Splices in wire always have the possibility of loose
conections. Doing this, there is one continuous wire. so it's
probably safer.

From experience, one warning. Leave enough wire between them. Be
sure your screws are tightened well. Otherwise you may get loose
screws when ou pack the switches in the box. #12 is the most likely
to do this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rile

With that in mind, what is the easiest way to strip the wire for that
type of splice without nicking the wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a wire stripping tool and use the proper gage opening. Test it on a
piece of scrap first. Shave the insulation to be removed near the bare
wire and peel it off. I use a Klein, I like Ideal too.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

RBM wrote:

It's probably the best and neatest way to bridge the feed to multiple
switches. An alternative would be pigtails to a wirenut

I can't imagine the NEC saying that. It doesn't concern itself with
"neatness."

"rile" wrote in message
ups.com...

What does the NEC say about wiring multiple gang switches using one
continuos conductor with the wire stripped just enough to coil around
the screw and then continued to the next switch? I've seen this in old
wiring but not sure if it is still OK by code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Dec 2005 07:06:51 -0800, "rile" wrote:

With that in mind, what is the easiest way to strip the wire for that
type of splice without nicking the wire.

*** CAREFULLY ***

I just use a utility knife. I cut the two ends all the way around,
then I slit it down the middle and peel the piece off. You want about
3/4 inch exposed. Be sure to wrap it around the screw. A needle nose
plyers helps with that. Allow about 5 to 6 inches wire between each
device. When you pack the wires in the box, form a "U" in the wire,
and get that "U" between the devices as you push them in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

RBM wrote:

Try 110-12 "electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and
workmanlike manner"

Touche! Is that anything more than an aspiration, though? Has an
inspector ever failed an installation for lack of neatness, I wonder?

wrote in message

On 12 Dec 2005 23:01:35 -0800, "rile" wrote:

What does the NEC say about wiring multiple gang switches using one
continuos conductor with the wire stripped just enough to coil around
the screw and then continued to the next switch? I've seen this in old
wiring but not sure if it is still OK by code.

If your switches are in a gang, you really should have the police
check them. They might be carrying guns and doing drugs.

Seriously, I have never seen anything in the code to say you can't do
this. I have done it all my life, and I feel this is the BEST way to
do it. Splices in wire always have the possibility of loose
conections. Doing this, there is one continuous wire. so it's
probably safer.

From experience, one warning. Leave enough wire between them. Be

sure your screws are tightened well. Otherwise you may get loose
screws when ou pack the switches in the box. #12 is the most likely
to do this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:10:20 GMT, CJT wrote:

RBM wrote:

In fact the NEC does concern itself with neatness.

cite?

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike
manner.

I seem to recall it described as 'dressing the cables'. IE, making nice
Z-folds in the wires as you stuff them back in the box, so the poor slob 20
years later can get the now-stiff wires out, and have a hope of getting the
new device to go back in square. I changed or fixed polarity on about half
the outlets in this house, and a lot of them were a real rat's nest in
there, including screwdriver-nicked wires on the hot side, a sixteenth of an
inch from shorting out to the box. I can't claim my dressage was up to pro
standards, but it was better than what I found when I started.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to CJT :
RBM wrote:

It's probably the best and neatest way to bridge the feed to multiple
switches. An alternative would be pigtails to a wirenut

I can't imagine the NEC saying that. It doesn't concern itself with
"neatness."

Actually it does. It's called "workmanship".
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Chris Lewis wrote:

According to CJT :

RBM wrote:

It's probably the best and neatest way to bridge the feed to multiple
switches. An alternative would be pigtails to a wirenut

I can't imagine the NEC saying that. It doesn't concern itself with
"neatness."

Actually it does. It's called "workmanship".

Yes, others have corrected me on that. But has a job that was otherwise
compliant ever failed inspection because not sufficiently neat?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to CJT :

Yes, others have corrected me on that. But has a job that was otherwise
compliant ever failed inspection because not sufficiently neat?

Define neat in this context ;-)

Most workmanship issues boil down to neatness in one way or another.

Clearly there are times where a wiring job is electrically correct,
but the inspector will ask for changes because of things like excessive
and unnecessary J boxes, poor routing, rat-nesting etc.

Inspectors consider neat jobs a sign that the wiring is done right,
and you'll probably have less trouble passing.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician

CJT wrote:
Chris Lewis wrote:

According to CJT :

RBM wrote:

It's probably the best and neatest way to bridge the feed to
multiple switches. An alternative would be pigtails to a wirenut

I can't imagine the NEC saying that. It doesn't concern itself with
"neatness."

Actually it does. It's called "workmanship".

Yes, others have corrected me on that. But has a job that was otherwise
compliant ever failed inspection because not sufficiently neat?

The answer to your question is yes but that case went all the way to the
supreme court who then struck down any enforcement based on "neat and
workman like manor" as unconstitutionally vague. I was never taught the
cite but the case occurred in the late 1950s.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I'm sure if you asked any inspector, he'd have plenty of examples of jobs
that were failed because they were sloppy, but conversely,in my own
experience, I'm sure many of my jobs were passed, without close examination,
simply because they were neat

"CJT" wrote in message

RBM wrote:

In fact the NEC does concern itself with neatness.

cite?

wrote in message
m...

On 12 Dec 2005 23:01:35 -0800, "rile" wrote:

What does the NEC say about wiring multiple gang switches using one
continuos conductor with the wire stripped just enough to coil around
the screw and then continued to the next switch? I've seen this in
old
wiring but not sure if it is still OK by code.

If your switches are in a gang, you really should have the police
check them. They might be carrying guns and doing drugs.

Seriously, I have never seen anything in the code to say you can't do
this. I have done it all my life, and I feel this is the BEST way to
do it. Splices in wire always have the possibility of loose
conections. Doing this, there is one continuous wire. so it's
probably safer.

From experience, one warning. Leave enough wire between them. Be