Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Gang switches

I'm sure if you asked any inspector, he'd have plenty of examples of jobs
that were failed because they were sloppy, but conversely,in my own
experience, I'm sure many of my jobs were passed, without close examination,
simply because they were neat

"CJT" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

Try 110-12 "electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and
workmanlike manner"

Touche! Is that anything more than an aspiration, though? Has an
inspector ever failed an installation for lack of neatness, I wonder?

"CJT" wrote in message

RBM wrote:

In fact the NEC does concern itself with neatness.

cite?

wrote in message
m...

On 12 Dec 2005 23:01:35 -0800, "rile" wrote:

What does the NEC say about wiring multiple gang switches using one
continuos conductor with the wire stripped just enough to coil around
the screw and then continued to the next switch? I've seen this in
old
wiring but not sure if it is still OK by code.

If your switches are in a gang, you really should have the police
check them. They might be carrying guns and doing drugs.

Seriously, I have never seen anything in the code to say you can't do
this. I have done it all my life, and I feel this is the BEST way to
do it. Splices in wire always have the possibility of loose
conections. Doing this, there is one continuous wire. so it's
probably safer.

From experience, one warning. Leave enough wire between them. Be

sure your screws are tightened well. Otherwise you may get loose
screws when ou pack the switches in the box. #12 is the most likely
to do this.