Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking wash machine + large baby poopie = mess

It is turning out to be one of those days...our wash machine (a 1996
Whirlpool top-loader; model #LSC8244DQ0) started leaking underneath the
unit this morning. The leak appears to run continuously (the machine
was still dripping after turning it off), resulting in a *very* large
puddle in our laundry room. On top of that, our 9 month year old just
had one of those movements that goes through diaper, "onezie", and
pants (looks like we will be washing her clothes by hand).

At any rate, I am wondering:

1. If anyone has any ideas regarding what the likely source of the
leak might be and also whether or not "typical" wash machine repair
jobs can be tackled by novices.

2. Or, if you have any recommendations regarding having a service
repairman come to take a look at it (e.g., ballpark expected cost for
home servicing, and if it is best to try to contact a Whirlpool service
person or if there are likely better options).

Thanks in advance,

john

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Turn off the supply water to the machine..........

does the leak stop?

think aobut the installation /situtation; try to isolate the behavior

is the machine off? or are the supply shutoff vavles off/

even after the shutoffs are off the hoses are presurized

witht the valves off, start a warm water wash to de-pressurize th
hoses; after the a few seconds shut the machine off leak

check hoses for leaks, bad condition, loose connection at machine

the website will help, get a repair manual ~$15
http://www.repairclinic.com/

this fix is probably easy unless you have a rusted out tank; I guessing
hoses

the rest of your questions..yellow pages

my guess on the service call & repair ~$100

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is turning out to be one of those days...our wash machine (a 1996
Whirlpool top-loader; model #LSC8244DQ0) started leaking underneath the
unit this morning. The leak appears to run continuously (the machine
was still dripping after turning it off), resulting in a *very* large
puddle in our laundry room. On top of that, our 9 month year old just
had one of those movements that goes through diaper, "onezie", and
pants (looks like we will be washing her clothes by hand).

At any rate, I am wondering:

1. If anyone has any ideas regarding what the likely source of the
leak might be and also whether or not "typical" wash machine repair
jobs can be tackled by novices.

Some public libraries have books which focus on particular brands & models.
Appliance parts stores often have them, too. They're sort of like car repair
manuals: "Whirlpool, 1990 through 1998, model series so-and-so". So, I'd get
on the phone first and find out. I replaced the transmisssion in a washing
machine about 10 years ago, using only a book. It wasn't fun or easy, but it
was linear and it went exactly as the book said it would. The biggest issue
might be whether you have the right tools. If your screwdrivers are hacked
up, they'll destroy screw heads and that'll drive you crazy. You may not
have the right socket sizes for smaller hex head screws. Although I'm
guessing you'll be able to fix your problem by accessing the back, there's
always the chance that you might have to remove the top. They're usually
held on by clips you can't see, and a stiff paint scraper is usually the
tool for popping these clips loose (at which point they fall into the dark
recesses of the machine). :-)

So: If you're a two-tool household (ancient screwdriver, hammer), this may
not be for you. Or, it could be one of those rare opportunities when you
have a great reason to invest in more tools, and the wife won't say boo
about it. This assumes, of course, that you successfully fix the machine.

2. Or, if you have any recommendations regarding having a service
repairman come to take a look at it (e.g., ballpark expected cost for
home servicing, and if it is best to try to contact a Whirlpool service
person or if there are likely better options).

Thanks in advance,

john

Based on my experience over 25 years (your mileage may vary), the best
service I've gotten has come from a small, independently owned appliance
dealer with a service department. My wife and I rated it as somewhere
between amazing and outstanding, and each visit was better than the last.
Stores like this have every reason in the world to impress you, since they
need to compete with the chains. Get out the yellow pages and start making
calls.

If you're anywhere near Rochester NY, call Netzman's Appliance, in Webster.
No need to go any further. Great parts department, too, staffed by a guy who
has enormous knowledge of appliance repair and is very helpful to
do-it-yourselfers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I had a similar issue in my Whirlpool top loader. Dont know if the model is
the same but I bought it close to '96.

http://tinyurl.com/cb4xz

Part # 18, water mixing valve was cracked

--
John

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
broken zanussi washine machine (3rd time in 1.5 years) Matthew J.E. Durkin UK diy 31 November 9th 04 12:41 AM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Leaking Washing Machine Drum Phil Young UK diy 10 October 7th 03 05:05 PM