Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

Default Decorative box extentions

Hi:

I want to put some GFCIs in place of regular duplex outlets. Because the
GFCI is about twice the thickness and somewhat wider then the outlet it
replaces, I know from past experience it will be a PITA to get the new
outlet and the wires back into place.

Extension "rings" will do the job but they look like sh*t.

Does "someone" make an extension ring that tapers out that I could paint to
match the wall but would give me 1/2 to 3/4" more wiring room?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

John Gilmer wrote:
Hi:

I want to put some GFCIs in place of regular duplex outlets. Because the
GFCI is about twice the thickness and somewhat wider then the outlet it
replaces, I know from past experience it will be a PITA to get the new
outlet and the wires back into place.

Extension "rings" will do the job but they look like sh*t.

Does "someone" make an extension ring that tapers out that I could paint to
match the wall but would give me 1/2 to 3/4" more wiring room?

Thanks

Hmmm,
I never had any trouble fitting one into a standard size box.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

i've had your problem. you could put a gfi breaker in the nearby
subpanel. or what we did was install a wiremold kit and put in their
deepest surface mounted box but double or multiple width to give us
more options for lightswitch and switched outlets lights and fan and
outlet for this 1910 bathroom update.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

John Gilmer wrote:
Hi:

I want to put some GFCIs in place of regular duplex outlets. Because the
GFCI is about twice the thickness and somewhat wider then the outlet it
replaces, I know from past experience it will be a PITA to get the new
outlet and the wires back into place.

Extension "rings" will do the job but they look like sh*t.

Does "someone" make an extension ring that tapers out that I could paint to
match the wall but would give me 1/2 to 3/4" more wiring room?

Thanks

The Wiremold "starter" or extension boxes are useful
for this app.
http://doityourself.com/store/9558792.htm
I believe they make a plastic one as well as
the traditional steel.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:46:18 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

John Gilmer wrote:
Hi:

I want to put some GFCIs in place of regular duplex outlets. Because the
GFCI is about twice the thickness and somewhat wider then the outlet it
replaces, I know from past experience it will be a PITA to get the new
outlet and the wires back into place.

Extension "rings" will do the job but they look like sh*t.

Does "someone" make an extension ring that tapers out that I could paint to
match the wall but would give me 1/2 to 3/4" more wiring room?

Thanks

Hmmm,
I never had any trouble fitting one into a standard size box.
Tony

It can be a problem with a lot of connections and stiff wires in the
box. Then, there's shallow boxes.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

"buffalobill" wrote in message
ups.com...
i've had your problem. you could put a gfi breaker in the nearby
subpanel. or what we did was install a wiremold kit and put in their
deepest surface mounted box but double or multiple width to give us
more options for lightswitch and switched outlets lights and fan and
outlet for this 1910 bathroom update.

Putting in a sub-panel is one of my "long term" solutions to several wiring
problems. In the short term I am stuck wtih the "Bulldog" pushmatic main
panel. I can't even get NEW replacement breakers of any type (plenty of
electricians still have them floating around in the backs of thier trucks.)

In another room, I did use a wiremold as an extension and cut out some of it
to make room for a switch. Painted black on a paneled wall it doesn't look
TOO bad. That's my fall back position using white paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

The Wiremold "starter" or extension boxes are useful
for this app.
http://doityourself.com/store/9558792.htm
I believe they make a plastic one as well as
the traditional steel.

As mentioned, I am aware of that.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Leviton makes a single gang white plastic extension ring. They are about
$6.00 at Home Depot. I used it in my bathroom and it works and looks fine.

Mike

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...
John Gilmer wrote:
Hi:

I want to put some GFCIs in place of regular duplex outlets. Because

the
GFCI is about twice the thickness and somewhat wider then the outlet it
replaces, I know from past experience it will be a PITA to get the new
outlet and the wires back into place.

Extension "rings" will do the job but they look like sh*t.

Does "someone" make an extension ring that tapers out that I could paint

match the wall but would give me 1/2 to 3/4" more wiring room?

Thanks

The Wiremold "starter" or extension boxes are useful
for this app.
http://doityourself.com/store/9558792.htm
I believe they make a plastic one as well as
the traditional steel.
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

"Mike" wrote in message
news
Leviton makes a single gang white plastic extension ring. They are about
$6.00 at Home Depot. I used it in my bathroom and it works and looks
fine.\

Does it have a "taper" on the outside to sort of blend into the wall?

(I was in HD, not one of the super BIG stores however, and I didn't see what
I was looking for. I did pick up some plastic extentions that are meant, I
suppose, to build up when covering a wall with another layer of
plasterboard.)

Mike

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...
John Gilmer wrote:
Hi:

I want to put some GFCIs in place of regular duplex outlets. Because

the
GFCI is about twice the thickness and somewhat wider then the outlet

it
replaces, I know from past experience it will be a PITA to get the new
outlet and the wires back into place.

Extension "rings" will do the job but they look like sh*t.

Does "someone" make an extension ring that tapers out that I could

paint
match the wall but would give me 1/2 to 3/4" more wiring room?

Thanks

The Wiremold "starter" or extension boxes are useful
for this app.
http://doityourself.com/store/9558792.htm
I believe they make a plastic one as well as
the traditional steel.
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

Thanks.

I will check their web site.

jlg

"Mike" wrote in message
yes it does have a taper.
Mike
"John Gilmer" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
news
Leviton makes a single gang white plastic extension ring. They are

about
$6.00 at Home Depot. I used it in my bathroom and it works and looks

fine.\

Does it have a "taper" on the outside to sort of blend into the wall?

(I was in HD, not one of the super BIG stores however, and I didn't see

what
I was looking for. I did pick up some plastic extentions that are

meant,
suppose, to build up when covering a wall with another layer of
plasterboard.)

Mike

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...