Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil

Default electrical problem

I'm having a problem with an electrical circuit in my home. The power goes
out only in one section and hours to days later it may come on again for
no
apparent reason and then off again. I was able to isolate the breaker when
power resumed. It's a double 30 amp breaker and it doesn't flip off but
still no power. It only controls doorbell and an outlet in the garage.
I've checked for loose wires but haven't found anything. I've flipped the
breaker on and off and still nothing. I think at one time this was for an
electric water heater but have switched to gas over 20 years ago. Could
the
breaker be bad? I would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Phil

It has removed 57 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Phil" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with an electrical circuit in my home. The power goes
out only in one section and hours to days later it may come on again for
no
apparent reason and then off again. I was able to isolate the breaker when
power resumed. It's a double 30 amp breaker and it doesn't flip off but
still no power. It only controls doorbell and an outlet in the garage.
I've checked for loose wires but haven't found anything. I've flipped the
breaker on and off and still nothing. I think at one time this was for an
electric water heater but have switched to gas over 20 years ago. Could
the
breaker be bad? I would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Phil

A double 30 to a door bell... not likely

Please seek a pro locally

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Phil" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with an electrical circuit in my home. The power goes
out only in one section and hours to days later it may come on again for
no
apparent reason and then off again. I was able to isolate the breaker when
power resumed. It's a double 30 amp breaker and it doesn't flip off but
still no power. It only controls doorbell and an outlet in the garage.
I've checked for loose wires but haven't found anything. I've flipped the
breaker on and off and still nothing. I think at one time this was for an
electric water heater but have switched to gas over 20 years ago. Could
the
breaker be bad? I would appreciate any suggestions.

I presume one 30a is for the doorbell and the other is for the garage?
If not, then I am confused.

30a is way too much for either use. Take this opportunity to buy a pair of
15a (or whatever) breakers and get rid of the double 30a.
Might fix your problem, might not; but necessary either way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"30a is way too much for either use. Take this opportunity to buy a
pair of
15a (or whatever) breakers and get rid of the double 30a.
Might fix your problem, might not; but necessary either way. "

Before he seperates a double breaker, he better be sure how it's wired,
which he obviously doesn't understand. It's possible and even likely
that each leg of the double breaker are run together into the same box
somewhere. Seperating the breakers would allow someone later
attempting a repair to turn off one breaker and not realize the other
wire is still hot, creating a dangerous situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

wrote in message
ups.com...
"30a is way too much for either use. Take this opportunity to buy a
pair of
15a (or whatever) breakers and get rid of the double 30a.
Might fix your problem, might not; but necessary either way. "

Before he seperates a double breaker, he better be sure how it's wired,
which he obviously doesn't understand. It's possible and even likely
that each leg of the double breaker are run together into the same box
somewhere. Seperating the breakers would allow someone later
attempting a repair to turn off one breaker and not realize the other
wire is still hot, creating a dangerous situation.

That's true; they could even share a neutral, further compounding the issue.
Still, the 30a breaker has to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to think about getting a pro in before you get into
trouble.

I dont think you are using a double 30 for the garage....

You might want to start flipping breakers off until you get no more
power to the garage.

You might even have a double 30 going to a real small breaker box in
the garage.

Tom

Electrical problem Mogweed UK diy 41 November 14th 05 05:29 PM
Success! (was: Electrical problem) Mogweed UK diy 4 November 12th 05 06:48 PM
Tough electrical problem! Habsfan Home Repair 7 February 14th 05 07:03 PM
HELP! Electrical problem. Spike Metalworking 5 July 14th 04 06:58 PM
electrical problem HomeBrewer Home Repair 19 May 4th 04 02:50 AM