Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default buying new 3.5 ton a/c

Our 14 year old Ruud with an SEER of 12 has rusted out and is leakng
freon. We contacted the a/c company which installed the unit when the
house was built and they are recommending replacing the old unit with a
Rheem 3.5 ton SEER 13 RAND042JAZ.
My concerns a
1- SEER is kinda low. Wouldn't a 14 or higher SEER be better?
2-I don't know if this is a scroll or reciprocating compressor. I've
read on-line that scroll is better. Is this correct?
3-I don't know of the motor is one or two speed. Two would be more
efficient, right?
4-I am of the opinion that this unit would use Freon. Wouldn't a
Puron-using unit be better in the long run?
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
BoJo