Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default buying new 3.5 ton a/c

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our 14 year old Ruud with an SEER of 12 has rusted out and is leakng
freon. We contacted the a/c company which installed the unit when the
house was built and they are recommending replacing the old unit with a
Rheem 3.5 ton SEER 13 RAND042JAZ.
My concerns a
1- SEER is kinda low. Wouldn't a 14 or higher SEER be better?

Depends..where are you located?
If the installing company does not know how to size duct and units correctly
with the higher seer units, you can ..thats CAN have a moisture problem.

2-I don't know if this is a scroll or reciprocating compressor. I've
read on-line that scroll is better. Is this correct?

Scroll.

3-I don't know of the motor is one or two speed. Two would be more
efficient, right?
4-I am of the opinion that this unit would use Freon. Wouldn't a
Puron-using unit be better in the long run?

You mean, you dont know if you want a R22 or a R410a unit...
R22 is gonna be around for a while....look at the price difference if they
can get you a R22 unit, and see what you think..
Most makes 13SEER or higher are now R410 and its fine, provided that the
installers replace the line sets..

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
BoJo