Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disappointed with Maytag quality

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:16:01 GMT, Ignoramus20878
wrote:

We have a maytag washer. It broke down 2 years ago and again this
year. In both cases, the cause was that the plunger that activates the
washer when the cover is lowered, wore itself out, shortened and no
longer could reliably actuate the switch. The previous time I adjusted
the plastic thing that pushes the plunger, this year I screwed a screw
into the plunger to make it 1mm longer.

I am disappointed that Maytag decided to save perhaps 50 cents, and
went from using a metal part that would not wear out, to plastic part
that they knew would wear out (and would bring them a few bucks each
time customers need to replace it).

I guess Maytag is no longer a quality brand. If they did it
intentionally so that customers pay them $X each time the plunger
wears out and they need a new plunger, I would even call it
dishonest.

While under warranty my washer blew a "circuit board" and would not
spin, etc. They fixed it. The repairman later stated to me that the
dryer door was mounted at the factory and could not be changed to
swing the opposite direction (hinged on other side). Little did he
know I had already changed the door. The mounts were there, they just
needed to be moved to the other side.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."