Posted to alt.home.repair
Chamblin

Default drilling porceline tile

We need to drill porceline tile to attach a handicap rail to wood
blocking placed in the wall.
Carbide bits will drill through most tiles, but not porceline. I have
tried.
Tile companies state that diamond bits are needed, and must be used
with water.
Anyone experienced with this process? Where can these be purchased?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Chamblin wrote:
We need to drill porceline tile to attach a handicap rail to wood
blocking placed in the wall.
Carbide bits will drill through most tiles, but not porceline. I have
tried.
Tile companies state that diamond bits are needed, and must be used
with water.
Anyone experienced with this process? Where can these be purchased?

Wasn't this question answered to your satisfaction in the other thread?
There's no reason to start a new thread on the same topic.

As far as the diamond bits - eBay.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chamblin

Most responses indicated using a carbide bit which will not work.
I clarified this in the new thread, along with the clarification of the
wood blocking.
Thanks, I have now found a source for diamond bits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Chamblin wrote:
Most responses indicated using a carbide bit which will not work.
I clarified this in the new thread, along with the clarification of the
wood blocking.
Thanks, I have now found a source for diamond bits.

Most responses indicated a spear point carbide bit which works quite
well. A standard twist carbide drill bit never worked for me on
porcelain tile.

Good luck with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

Spear-point carbide bit works fine for me. Make a starter hole with a
carbide-pointed scribe or other small tool, using a small hammer. They are
sometimes sold as "glass and ceramic drill bits". I got mine at Home Depot.

"Chamblin" wrote in message
oups.com...
We need to drill porceline tile to attach a handicap rail to wood
blocking placed in the wall.
Carbide bits will drill through most tiles, but not porceline. I have
tried.
Tile companies state that diamond bits are needed, and must be used
with water.
Anyone experienced with this process? Where can these be purchased?

Drilling between Tile joints / fittings Steven Campbell UK diy 11 September 14th 05 08:40 PM
Drilling floor tiles TonyK UK diy 5 January 28th 05 11:22 PM
Drilling ceramic wall tile 15mm Richard UK diy 2 December 16th 04 04:32 PM
Drilling big hole in ceramic tile Jack Home Repair 3 June 23rd 04 08:45 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM