Steven Campbell

Default Drilling between Tile joints / fittings

I've just had the bathroom tiled and I'm in the process of putting the
radiator back on.
One fitting falls exactly between tile joints and the other is about 5mm in
from a joint.
Will drilling at these points have more chance of cracking the tile?

Also it is a plasterboard wall and I was going to use these hollow wall
fixings to mount the radiator
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/43/p1399143_x.jpg but the top of the
fixing has a bit pulled down obviously to grip while going into
plasterboard. If I flatten this "grip" it may mean the fixing will just spin
round while trying to tighten.

I'm sure there is an alternative / other method for fixing heavy radiators
to tiled walls?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven.

Chris Bacon

Steven Campbell wrote:
I've just had the bathroom tiled and I'm in the process of putting the
radiator back on.

Was the rad. hung on this wall before?

One fitting falls exactly between tile joints and the other is about 5mm in
from a joint.
Will drilling at these points have more chance of cracking the tile?

Yes. Between the joint, not too bad - just in from the
edge will probably lead to breakout.

Also it is a plasterboard wall and I was going to use these hollow wall
fixings to mount the radiator
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/43/p1399143_x.jpg but the top of the
fixing has a bit pulled down obviously to grip while going into
plasterboard. If I flatten this "grip" it may mean the fixing will just spin
round while trying to tighten.

I'm sure there is an alternative / other method for fixing heavy radiators
to tiled walls?

Not sure I'd really like to hang a rad. on a tiled PB wall at
all - if it was originally on the wall, was it screwed into
studwork? What's going to happen to your tiles when the PB wall
flexes where the rad. is hung off it?

Could you get a rad. that sits on the floor?
Neil Bush

"Steven Campbell" Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote in message

Also it is a plasterboard wall and I was going to use these hollow wall
fixings to mount the radiator
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/43/p1399143_x.jpg but the top of the
fixing has a bit pulled down obviously to grip while going into
plasterboard. If I flatten this "grip" it may mean the fixing will just
spin
round while trying to tighten.

I've just used these to fix an electric shower to the wall.
I flattened the tab as you suggest and, yes, they do spin. I held them in
place with pliers until it was tight enough to grip - worked fine.

Regards,

Neil Bush

fred

In article , Neil
Bush writes

"Steven Campbell" Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote in message

Also it is a plasterboard wall and I was going to use these hollow wall
fixings to mount the radiator
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/43/p1399143_x.jpg but the top of the
fixing has a bit pulled down obviously to grip while going into
plasterboard. If I flatten this "grip" it may mean the fixing will just
spin
round while trying to tighten.

I've just used these to fix an electric shower to the wall.
I flattened the tab as you suggest and, yes, they do spin. I held them in
place with pliers until it was tight enough to grip - worked fine.

They're a lot easier to use if you get a setting tool which pulls the tabs into
place; the action is a bit like a pop riveter. Some are a bit flimsy though,
the Draper one in particular is v poor.
--
fred
cj squirms

Will drilling at these points have more chance of cracking the tile?
Masonry bit without the hammer action shouldn't cause any problems.
Maybe bit of splintering which would be covered by the bracket anyway.

Stuart

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:39:12 +0100, "Steven Campbell"
Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote:

I've just had the bathroom tiled and I'm in the process of putting the
radiator back on.
One fitting falls exactly between tile joints and the other is about 5mm in
from a joint.
Will drilling at these points have more chance of cracking the tile?

Also it is a plasterboard wall and I was going to use these hollow wall
fixings to mount the radiator
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/43/p1399143_x.jpg but the top of the
fixing has a bit pulled down obviously to grip while going into
plasterboard. If I flatten this "grip" it may mean the fixing will just spin
round while trying to tighten.

I'm sure there is an alternative / other method for fixing heavy radiators
to tiled walls?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven.

Is the plaster board on battens or straight on to the wall.How was the
rad hung before ?

Stuart .

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Steven Campbell

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Steven Campbell wrote:
[...]

The radiator is part of the central heating and was originally hung on this
wall. I merely disconnected it so the tiler could tile the wall. However
when I originally got it fitted I asked the plumber to put it higher up the
wall than it usually goes in order that once it was tiled I could lower it
by 6 inches so I wasn't guessing where the original holes were and making
them a lot bigger if I was slightly out if you know what I mean.

I don't have the option of moving the radiator unfortunately as it can only
be mounted on this wall.

Chris Bacon

Steven Campbell wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
[ radiator on plasterboard wall ]
Could you get a rad. that sits on the floor?

The radiator is part of the central heating and was originally hung on this
wall. I merely disconnected it so the tiler could tile the wall. However
when I originally got it fitted I asked the plumber to put it higher up the
wall than it usually goes in order that once it was tiled I could lower it
by 6 inches so I wasn't guessing where the original holes were and making
them a lot bigger if I was slightly out if you know what I mean.

I don't have the option of moving the radiator unfortunately as it can only
be mounted on this wall.

I should be inclined to install a floor-standing column
radiator such as the ones at:

http://www.rads-direct.co.uk/acatalo..._Radiator.html

They look nice, and wouldn't make the wall flex, cracking
or popping off your tiles.

Chris Bacon wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
[...]

I used to have floor mounted aluminium rads, I didn't have any choice
as I had lath & plaster walls (upstairs). They were a bit of a pain but
since that I didn't have any choice made do. As I have replaced the l&p
walls with p/b I have put timber behind the p/b to take the mounting
for the rads.

Kevin

Steven Campbell

Steven Campbell wrote:
[...]

I don't think my wife would wear that. As we have already spent over £100
getting a towel radiator for the wall

Slightly taller than http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/tiling.htm

From what I remember of the wall before it was tiled, I think the batons ran
down the wall every 18 - 24 inches or so. The wall didn't appear to bow
before. Is it really likely?

Cheers Steven

NikV

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Neil
Bush writes

[...]

got settig tool from screwfix it was only about £5 and is very solid makes
putting these in much easier!!

nik