Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Default What's good to fumigate a basement?

I've had spider crickets all summer and still even now there are a few
of them in my basement (which is 33x70'x9' high). They are ugly little
****ers!

There are windows I can open, what's a good way to fumigate the place?

Thanks!

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Well I did this but be carefull as it can kill you , get a gopher
bomb,Giant Destroyer, sodium nitrate. Put it in a metal bucket and put
that bucket in a metal bucket of water. Light bomb and leave for 6 hrs
or more, when you come back open all windows quick, if you smell
anything leave and come back later. nothing will be alive even termites
in the floors. you say 9ft ceilings, ok because they burn hot like
flares

Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

I'd rather put my ball in the jaws of a rabid doberman than do that to
my house....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

I'd rather put my &@!!$ in the jaws of a rabid doberman than do that to
my house....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

I think it would depend on if you have pets, small children, and if you can
be away from the house for awhile, then air it out before returning.

I will spray outside and will do so only because I don't have pets/small
children. But I don't like to spray indoors. For indoors, I will use a fly
swatter, or if I have to, use what you can buy in the grocery store (Raid),
then I will spray and close off the room or leave the house.

Might want to get a pro if not sure. If do-it-yourself, read the labels.

"dean" wrote in message
I've had spider crickets all summer and still even now there are a few
of them in my basement (which is 33x70'x9' high). They are ugly little
****ers!

There are windows I can open, what's a good way to fumigate the place?

Thanks!

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

P.S. Small children live on the floor/ground and put *everything* in their
mouth!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Its in the basement, my kid is not allowed in there. And they are
spider crickets, not camel crickets, they are ugly little ****ers, they
give me the creeps (and generally nothing really gives me the creeps!)

-Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

m Ransley wrote:
Well I did this but be carefull as it can kill you , get a gopher
bomb,Giant Destroyer, sodium nitrate. Put it in a metal bucket and put
that bucket in a metal bucket of water. Light bomb and leave for 6 hrs
or more, when you come back open all windows quick, if you smell
anything leave and come back later. nothing will be alive even
termites in the floors. you say 9ft ceilings, ok because they burn
hot like flares

I would rather chance it with the bugs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

dean wrote:
I've had spider crickets all summer and still even now there are a few
of them in my basement (which is 33x70'x9' high). They are ugly little
****ers!

There are windows I can open, what's a good way to fumigate the place?

Thanks!

Dean

I suggest you call your local county extension office and see what they
recommend. It seems these critters are a common problem and there doesn't
seem to be much available to control them other than professional controls,
and they seem to require more than one visit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

Elimate the humidity and their numbers will drop to zero. No poisons
or chemicals needed. In the short term, lay out strips of tape.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
Elimate the humidity and their numbers will drop to zero. No poisons
or chemicals needed. In the short term, lay out strips of tape.

-rev

I doubt if you could ever get zero. In most parts of the world there is
enough in the air to measure almost anytime and that little fact is often
used by scam fungus removers to scare people into buying their services.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

Correction: _Reduce_ the humidity and their numbers will drop to zero.
I lowered my basement to ~55% relative humidity and all my pet camel
crickets disappeared.

Zero humidity would be impossible to achieve or tolerate.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a cat, let it into the basement. If you don't have a cat,
get one. I used to live in a basement apartment that had crickets, and
the only way I got rid of them was when I took in a stray cat that was
used to eating them. Now that I have a house I sometimes even heard
crickets inside for the cats amusement.