Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Default Stuck draw

While replacing part of the kitchen counter I noticed the draw beneath the
counter was stuck shut. No amount of pulling on the handle moves it one
bit. We don't use this small, eating utensil sized draw, thus it being stuck
has no real consequence. Now, it is a matter of principle or ego to get it
open (without resorting to saws and crowbars).

I am able to reach up under the sink and put my hand into the top rear of
the draw. Using a coat hanger to feel around, there doesn't seem to be
anything holding it in from the inside. Any ideas on what I should be
looking for, or how to attack this problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Charlie S. wrote:

While replacing part of the kitchen counter I noticed the draw beneath the
counter was stuck shut. No amount of pulling on the handle moves it one
bit. We don't use this small, eating utensil sized draw, thus it being stuck
has no real consequence. Now, it is a matter of principle or ego to get it
open (without resorting to saws and crowbars).

I am able to reach up under the sink and put my hand into the top rear of
the draw. Using a coat hanger to feel around, there doesn't seem to be
anything holding it in from the inside. Any ideas on what I should be
looking for, or how to attack this problem.

er....

Did someone refinish the cabinets with something like varnish which
could have "glued" the drawer front to the surrounding surface?

If you can't even wiggle the front sideways a tiny bit, that's my bet.

(Don't use force, get a larger prybar...)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news
Charlie S. wrote:

[...]

I can wiggle it up and down okay. No movement side to side. There hasn't
been any vanish work or anything like that. My father said it's happened
before.... years ago. He somehow was able to open it. He said, he kept it
partly open for that very reason. Then, someone shut it and it hasn't been
opened in years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Charlie S. wrote:

[...]

Too many possibilities for me to guess at. But if your dad got it open
then you should have inherited the genes to do it too.

Do the other drawers in the kitchen slide on roller tracks? If they do,
then perhaps your reticent drawer has a misaligned track and a wheel has
come out and jammed.

Good luck, and sorry I'm not there to give it a shake myself,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Charlie S. wrote:

[...]

The drawers are not on rollers. Simple wood on wood.

Thanks for the encouragement about the genes. My genes tell me to ask
someone who might be better informed:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Charlie S. wrote:

[...]

Finally got it open! Yeah!!!

Looked at the other drawers to find out how they were built. They are very
simple drawers. So, I knew they had to be getting stuck in one particular
spot.

Started pushing against various parts of the bottom of the draw, when,
'whamo' a narrow piece of wood popped out and the draw opened. The drawer
struggled to make it through the channel. Maybe there was some water damage
in there or something. Will have to investigate. Hopefully, I can restore
it back to normal without having to spend all day on it.

You were right about the genes... Thanks for the encouragement!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Duane Bozarth

"Charlie S." wrote:

Finally got it open! Yeah!!!

Great!

Was just going to suggest usinging a crayon to draw would be easier!

Toro / Briggs&Stratton Stuck Oil Filler Cap Filipo Home Repair 12 June 11th 19 07:44 PM
How does a 110volt 2 speed motor work 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 11 October 11th 04 09:15 PM
Draw front recess ... how ??? [email protected] Woodworking 1 June 20th 04 01:09 PM
Fuse block stuck ligera Home Repair 3 November 1st 03 05:19 PM
furnace blower stuck running donald girod Home Repair 28 September 23rd 03 12:12 AM