Default Draw front recess ... how ???

I want to make a recessed draw pull in the front of two flush fitting
draws. I know that I can buy pre manufactured CAD manufactured ones -
just make a "hole" and drop / glue them in. [ although I can't find
'em in Spain, I could import from the UK].

Then I recalled the draw pulls that used to be on the old singer
treadle sewing machines; the two little draws on the right side of the
machine. The pulls were set into a circular recess in the draw front.
The recess had a pull knob of some kind in the center which was flush
with the draw front. Come to think about it maybe the pull knob was
_part_of the draw front.

Anyhow, the question.
How can I cut a deep, concave, recess in a draw front?? Seems to me
it'd be at least three inches in dia.

I have a TS, drill press, power hand tools and other 'stuff'

John Hewitt Malaga Spain
Michael Latcha

wrote in message
s.com...
I want to make a recessed draw pull in the front of two flush fitting
draws. I know that I can buy pre manufactured CAD manufactured ones -
just make a "hole" and drop / glue them in. [ although I can't find
'em in Spain, I could import from the UK].

Yuk.

Then I recalled the draw pulls that used to be on the old singer
treadle sewing machines; the two little draws on the right side of the
machine. The pulls were set into a circular recess in the draw front.
The recess had a pull knob of some kind in the center which was flush
with the draw front. Come to think about it maybe the pull knob was
_part_of the draw front.

It was. All one piece. Very nice, too...

Anyhow, the question.
How can I cut a deep, concave, recess in a draw front?? Seems to me
it'd be at least three inches in dia.

It's a simple and fast cut with a bowl gouge, with the drawer front spinning
in "faceplate mode" on a lathe. Or a 3-hour setup and 23 second cut with a
router and a half-dozen bits. Nahm has done this...

I have a TS, drill press, power hand tools and other 'stuff'

Sounds like you need to go out and buy yourself a lathe.
Make that the swing is at least the diagonal of the drawer front you want.

John Hewitt Malaga Spain

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI