Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam S.

Default Another stupid question!

First, thanks to all about my question drilling through carpet. Since I
could only try one idea, I cut a small x in the carpet first, and proceeded
to drill. It worked out fine.

Now for another stupid question.

I was cleaning my lights in the eat in kitchen. It's one of these fixtures
that has 3 bulbs, with 3 glass globes around the bulbs. As I removed the
bulbs to clean, a screw fell out from the socket. I shut the power off to
the lights, and put the screw back in. I noticed the screw was brass, I
believe it was anyways. The other 2 sockets were loose, so I tightened up
the one. And, uh oh, the third one didn't have a screw in it. The only
screws I have around the house, are whatever a typical metal screw is made
of. I found one that was a standard machine screw, size #6, 32 teeth per
inch, 3/8" long. It's the right size, but, will this conduct the heat
differently than a brass screw? Must I use brass? Do you think there could
be a danger by using a metal other than brass? I could just leave the screw
out, but the socket kind of dangles inside the globe.

Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader

"Sam S." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Metal is metal. Snug it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Sam S." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Odds are the other screws are brass plated steel. And even if they aren't,
so what...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:31:56 GMT, "Sam S." wrote:

Must I use brass? Do you think there could
be a danger by using a metal other than brass? I could just leave the screw
out, but the socket kind of dangles inside the globe.

Some pairs of different metals can mean something when there is water
and the possibility of a chemical reaction, but not here.

Thanks again!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Maple question Jeff K Woodworking 7 May 13th 05 12:09 AM
Stupid question? MikeMandaville Metalworking 16 May 14th 04 03:00 AM
Might be a really stupid question but Alex UK diy 0 July 5th 03 10:31 PM