Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam S.

Default Another stupid question!

First, thanks to all about my question drilling through carpet. Since I
could only try one idea, I cut a small x in the carpet first, and proceeded
to drill. It worked out fine.

Now for another stupid question.

I was cleaning my lights in the eat in kitchen. It's one of these fixtures
that has 3 bulbs, with 3 glass globes around the bulbs. As I removed the
bulbs to clean, a screw fell out from the socket. I shut the power off to
the lights, and put the screw back in. I noticed the screw was brass, I
believe it was anyways. The other 2 sockets were loose, so I tightened up
the one. And, uh oh, the third one didn't have a screw in it. The only
screws I have around the house, are whatever a typical metal screw is made
of. I found one that was a standard machine screw, size #6, 32 teeth per
inch, 3/8" long. It's the right size, but, will this conduct the heat
differently than a brass screw? Must I use brass? Do you think there could
be a danger by using a metal other than brass? I could just leave the screw
out, but the socket kind of dangles inside the globe.

Thanks again!