Jeff K

Default Maple question

I have a question that is really really novice and I'm sorry for asking
such a stupid question, but I really have no place else to ask this.

My neighbor is moving and gave me 3 4x8 sheets of 3/4" maple plywood.
I'm not sure which side is which, and that's where my question is. One
side seems to have no sections that were joined together, but the grain
is very thick. It is also a small bit darker. The other side is
very smooth, nice looking grain, but the veneer is in roughly 12" strips
so you can see where it was either folded or joined or however it is
done.

I like the grain and coloring in the "pieced together" side better than
the other side. I decided to use this for a new desk and bookcase for
the office.

Which side is up? Is there a right and wrong? Is one side a better "grade"
but pieced together and the other side a worse grade but in wider sheets?

I've hunted the net and found many pages discussing how veneer is cut,
but nothing explaining which side is up.

Jeff
Bob in Oregon

The pieced together section is probably made to look like planks of
wood. Usually, there will be "bookmatched", symmetrical sections on the
good side.

Stephen M

Which side is up? Is there a right and wrong? Is one side a better

"grade"
but pieced together and the other side a worse grade but in wider sheets?

I've hunted the net and found many pages discussing how veneer is cut,
but nothing explaining which side is up.

Generally there is a "better side". The "big-sheet side" is rotory cut. It
is likely the lesser grade side. Rotory cut IMHO (and apparently yours too)
looks inferior because perpetually flatsawn wood does not exist in nature
and therefore looks "not quite right".

That said, there is nothing that says you can't use the rotory cut side if
that suited you. Choose the side based on which looks best to you.

-Steve

DJ Delorie

Jeff K writes:
I like the grain and coloring in the "pieced together" side better than
the other side.

That's probably the most important factor ;-)

When I look at plywood, I usually notice that on one side you can tell
where the seams are more than the other side. I usually consider the
side with the less obvious seams the "good" side.
Charley

Look for the grade stamp. It will be on the back (lower grade) side. If
there is no stamp mark on either side, then look at the edges. When you find
the writing, lay the sheet down so that this writing is right side up. The
top side of the panel will then be the front (higher grade) side.

--
Charley

"Jeff K" wrote in message
[...]

SonomaProducts.com

When you say the grain is very thick and darker I think you are looking
at the back side. I assume by thick you mean rough. If you have a piece
of ply and one side is smooth and one not smooth, then the smooth side
is the good face. No question.

All that being said, use the side you like the look of the best.

George

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
When you say the grain is very thick and darker I think you are looking
at the back side. I assume by thick you mean rough. If you have a piece
of ply and one side is smooth and one not smooth, then the smooth side
is the good face. No question.

All that being said, use the side you like the look of the best.

Absolutely. Might be the same as some oak I got a while back, too. Rotary
on one face, flitch slice on the other.

With maple and birch, they tend to use the darker heartwood veneers as the
counterpoint to the light sapwood the customer expects.

burning maple and where to get good deals on wood Jeff Anderson Woodworking 11 November 2nd 04 06:59 PM
Yet another tub caulking question (sorry!) -this time about color MAG Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 02:40 PM