Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex

Default How to upgrade fairly new kitchen?

I have a fairly new tract house that I'd upgrade the kitchen on and I need
tips on the best things to do so it looks less generic cookie-cutter and
helps resale down the road.

Check out the current pics.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/f85668f3.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/e819233c.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/e8c359f5.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/eae6076e.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/62722d7a.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/d694ee5d.jpg

I'd like to upgrade the counters. They are tile, but not a high grade of
tile. Don't know if it's worth tearing out the tile counters and replacing
them with granite slab or granite tiles. Maybe just replacing the plain
tile backsplashes with something more interesting?
I definitely want to replace the existing sink and faucet with better
quality replacements and replace the vinyl floor with either hardwood or
tile to match the rest of the house. Can the current sink be removed
without major damage to the counters?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/62722d7a.jpg
Is there anything that can be done with the cabinets to give a more upscale
look other than tearing them out and replacing them? Restaining or painting
or adding door handles?
I'm replacing the dishwasher because I don't like the performance.
Stainless steel seems to be the current fad, but then I'd need to get a new
range, microwave hood and refrigerator to match and the current appliances
are still pretty new.

Posted to alt.home.repair
boubou

I would myself change the counter for granite and maybe leave the backsplash
if you like it, if money is not an option, I'd put a different tile
backsplash, something a bit warmer.
Hardwood is very nice in a kitchen, and not as hard on the legs as tiles.
The cupboards are nice and I think will blend in nice with granit but if you
really want something new without changing them, there are companies ( like
surface doctors) that will give your cupboard a new look by ressurfacing
them and it will look more professional than just paint.
I don't put much weight into the latest fad for appliances, white is always
clean and classy. Stainless steel cost more, difficult to clean the finger
marks and the fad WILL fade quicker than the appliances and you'll be left
with aged looking appliances.
just my 2 cents.
"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
wkearney99

Check out the current pics.

Who did that tile job? All those tiny slivers of tile near the edges of the
sink, stove and counter end? That looks like crap. I'd rip it out just for
that. But realistically how soon are you selling, how much time/money do
you want to spend now and what difference do you hope it'll make at resale
time?

You might be able to enlarge that sink opening a bit and/or use a
top-mounted sink instead of undercounter. But otherwise you'd have to
remove tiles. Tough to make things match up exactly though, tiles and grout
change colors enough over time to be noticeable, perhaps less-so on white
tile though. You could certainly put a new counter those existing cabinets.
But I've never seen one of those 'refinishing jobs' that didn't look worse
than what was there before. A different counter color (darker) would
probably clash with the white appliances.

But from the complaints you've made it sounds like nothing in there is what
you want. They may all be relatively new and in nice shape you just don't
like the look of them. So it more or less sounds like you want to rip the
whole thing out. If you rip out the counter you've got to rip out that
backsplash, and vice-versa. If you're changing the floor it's sometimes
better to pull the cabinets. Which since you hate the sink won't be an
issue for the plumbing that'll have to get disconnected to do the work. And
if you pull down that backsplash you'll probably want to drop the wall
cabinets to ease refinishing the wall. Basically, gut the kitchen.

So ask yourself, how much will it really help? It's not an ugly kitchen
now, just not your taste. Depending on how the other houses in your market
are selling it may or may not make financial sense to change it. But if
you're going to be there for 5 years and you do truly hate the look then
you've got work to do.

-Bill Kearney

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , wkearney99 says...

So ask yourself, how much will it really help? It's not an ugly kitchen
now, just not your taste. Depending on how the other houses in your market
are selling it may or may not make financial sense to change it. But if
you're going to be there for 5 years and you do truly hate the look then
you've got work to do.

-Bill Kearney

Yep.

Concerning resale, the question is how far down the road you'll plan to sell.
What you have *now* is the look that pleases a wide range of tastes. The
'ordinariness' of it (yes, it looks like a bazillion other kitchens) can be
fixed up a lot by your own decor and accessories. Except for that problem with
the tile installation (which doesn't jump out at me quite as much), it's a nice,
basic look. Frankly I think it's a pretty nice tract house kitchen.

If you change out for hardwood floors and granite countertops, you might find
that 5 or 10 years down the road what you pick, partly thinking what the market
likes right now, will be considered dated. Especially the hardwood floors. So
you might as well just go by your tastes unless you'll sell fairly soon. In
which case if it were me I really wouldn't do much. So, if sell soon, don't
change, if not sell soon, go for your heart's desires.

But just taking the changes you propose, though, why not get some estimates for
1. granite countertops (prices aren't as bad as they used to be; will probaby
endure style-wise)
2. Some kind of interesting small-tile mosaic backsplash
3. New sink (then countertop will be cut around exactly what you want)
4. Tile floor
5. Replace dishwasher, SS interior, white exterior

Add these up and decide.

Regarding #4 - I have a prejudice, IMNSHO wood kitchen floors are impractical,
it's a style thing now, I don't like the wood wood wood look of wood cabinetry
dominating + a wood floor, and tile will stand up and endure in fashion. And
frankly I think what's there now looks nice, stands up to kitchen use, and is at
least as easy on the feet as hardwood. Consider keeping.

Regarding #5 - I agree that SS appliances will become outdated and isn't as
practical as nice, clean, white appliances.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

It looks like a generic kitchen nothing wrong with that. One thing I see
it needs, there is no color people are afraid to put colors on the walls
not just the kitchen the whole house. The white tone wall syndrome was
started buy realtors " White goes with everything" Start putting some color
on the walls you will be amazed and it a fairly cheap upgrade. Now looking
at the counter tops they are the plain white tiles. There is nothing like
the look of Granite the colors of mother nature can't be beat. and the stuff
is pretty indestructible. I would guess you get away with two slabs if you
did the backsplash. You would defiantly want a undermount sink. The floor I
would Tile the floor you have wood cabinets you might be over killing the
wood look. You also can lay tile right on the vinyl. I see allot of wood
floors in kitchens I firm believer wood floor in a are asking for trouble.
Now the appliances are about as boring as it gets, but there new so live
with them now but design for the future. You might try going to open houses,
model homes and get some ideas I know it's not easy. What ever you put in
you will get back ( we all hope that) plus your there every day so make as
nice as possible enjoy it. It's a nice looking kitchen so with some upgrades
it going to be a real focal point, and most people congregate in the
kitchen. Kitchen is the number one thing when selling a house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

This room appears small and cluttered.
Lose the tile on the counters and backspash, install a white solid surface
(SS) on the counter and a 4" SS backsplash, maybe a tile mural behind the
range.
Paint the walls white.
Lay some mirrors on the top of the wall cabines and add some tubelights
(mood light and ambience).
Put some uncomplicated silk plants on top of the wall cabinets.
No crown molding, it will increase the cluttered look.
Yank the cabinet doors and install glass inserted ones, add brass knobs on
all doors and drawers.
Install a ceiling fan/light combo.
Using lighter colors and less lines the room will more spacious and airy.
The cabinets themselves are dark and therefore make the room seem small but
cabinets are expensive to replace.
Point: make the entire room seem less cluttered and in a small room less is
more.

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

The tiling in the room looks very institutional especially where it is tiled
around the tiny window without any window casing. Why is the backsplash tile
so thick that they had to use those heavy edge tiles? The grout lines are so
heavy and pronounced. The layout is not bad, and not worth changing but
getting rid of the bad tile job would go a long way to improving the room.

While I see a lot of that type of tile countertops on TV in old and new
houses, in this area they are not considered to be "in", in fact would
devaluate a house. Either solid granite, a sythetic such as Corian, or at
the cheapest, colourcore laminate would look better (in order of
preference).

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article et, Don says...

This room appears small and cluttered.
Lose the tile on the counters and backspash, install a white solid surface
(SS) on the counter and a 4" SS backsplash, maybe a tile mural behind the
range.

Ew.

Paint the walls white.

Huh?

Lay some mirrors on the top of the wall cabines and add some tubelights
(mood light and ambience).

Aiieeeee! What - it's to look like a Christmas display at Bergdorf's?

Put some uncomplicated silk plants on top of the wall cabinets.
No crown molding, it will increase the cluttered look.
Yank the cabinet doors and install glass inserted ones, add brass knobs on
all doors and drawers.

:-O

Install a ceiling fan/light combo.
Using lighter colors and less lines the room will more spacious and airy.
The cabinets themselves are dark and therefore make the room seem small but
cabinets are expensive to replace.
Point: make the entire room seem less cluttered and in a small room less is
more

Hopefully *you'll* be the buyer if he sells soon. Otherwise, unless this is
what the O.P. likes for himself, I'd have to say - no. Not a wide-appeal setup.
In fact, a run-screaming setup.

SS all over? Then brass knobs!? Mirrors? Even up there? Glass showing all my
stuff. There's a hood in there. I don't need a fan in there too blowing stuff
other directions. (And what is this with fans being *in* *every* *single*
*room* - a few well-placed in certain rooms yes - otherwise, I go outside for
breezes!) You have the place with white, SS, and mirrors, it's cold enough
without the fan.

But then, you're entitled to your opinion

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:46:49 -0800, "Rex" wrote:

I have a fairly new tract house that I'd upgrade the kitchen on and I need
tips on the best things to do so it looks less generic cookie-cutter and
helps resale down the road.

Generic/tract houses are designed and set up the way they are
because that's the best trade-off between cost and appeal that
the builder could come up with. You're unlikely to do better
than that unless you plan on investing an awful lot of time
and effort.

Stick to painting things until you've got a better idea
of what works for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex

So what would be a rough guess of what to expect for quotes in materials and
labor to tear out the tile counters and backsplashes and replace them with a
common variety of granite slab counters plus glass or stone tile backsplash?

I've seen undermount 9 inch deep sinks I would use with the new counters
available in stock at Home Depot for around $300 or so. I plan to spend
$500-$700 on a replacement dishwasher.

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
news

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Rex" wrote in message
So what would be a rough guess of what to expect for quotes in materials

and
labor to tear out the tile counters and backsplashes and replace them with

common variety of granite slab counters plus glass or stone tile

backsplash?

I've seen undermount 9 inch deep sinks I would use with the new counters
available in stock at Home Depot for around $300 or so. I plan to spend
$500-$700 on a replacement dishwasher.

I did our kitchen. It's about 3 times the size of yours. We used 4 slabs
( had enough for a 4' desk 4' wet bar) the granite we used was about $25 sq.
ft. That was one of the more expensive ones. There were some slabs about $7
sq.ft. so the price varies. Our friends have a kitchen little bigger than
yours there total cost installed was about $4000. They did find a close out
on some granite. I spent about $15000 on the granite installed. I did the
tear out and put the new 1/2" plywood tops down they wanted $1200 for that.
The best thing is do some drawings and get some real quotes. the biggest
problem is finding what you like. I also tiled the floor Kitchen, Dinette
, family room, Bathroom, laundry,. About 800 to 900 sq ft tile 18X18 $3 sq
ft. that's another big price range. I also did about 600 sq ft of wood
flooring I found some really nice stuff for $3.50 sq ft. Now hear is some
real good advice, Stay away from the big box stores, Most people that
contract a job threw them or special order something get a big lesson in
life. I have found the small shops prices are good they have to be to
compete. But above all their services is worth it. One thing you can count
on the big box stores for, is a deferent answer each time you go in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
wkearney99

So what would be a rough guess of what to expect for quotes in materials
and
labor to tear out the tile counters and backsplashes and replace them with

common variety of granite slab counters plus glass or stone tile

backsplash?

Usually around $10k and upward. Decide what you *really* want not just that
you dislike the current setup because it's boring.

I've seen undermount 9 inch deep sinks I would use with the new counters
available in stock at Home Depot for around $300 or so. I plan to spend
$500-$700 on a replacement dishwasher.

In-stock at the Home Depot is not necessarily your best deal. Both in terms
of price and quaility of materials. Check some higher-end plumbing
suppliers and then shop around online. I saved over $1k buying my Hansgrohe
bathroom fixtures online. Retail for one piece was $475, HD had it for
$389, online I found it for $250.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Banty" wrote in message
In article et, Don
says...

[...]

Thats because you have a very narrow focus and don't know what you're
talking about.
I've designed hundreds of million+ dollar homes for the past 20+ years.
My own home had many of the features I described, it sold for what we listed
at (3 times the amount I paid to have it built) exactly 4 days after it went
on the market.
And you've done what?
I am presently designing our new home which will have many of the *proven*
design specifics I mentioned.
Now go back to your *shabby chic* home and garden shows. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article t, Don says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article et, Don
says...

[...]

??

"Shabby chic...garden shows"?!

Well, tells me that you think you know way more than you really know.

Which reflects on the rest of what you had to say before that little closing..

But, anyhow, mirror and white-stainless away, with my blessing.

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex

"wkearney99" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Well, the very least I want is a new better-quality 9' deep undermount sink
or flush-with-the-counter tiled-in sink, new faucets and a better
backsplash, but a new kitchen sink and new backsplash seems to require
damaging the tile counters, which means new counters would be needed. If I
need all new counters, then I might as well get granite slab instead of more
tile again.
In the master bath, I need to replace the top mount oval sinks in the tile
dual-vanity with undermount sinks, so I guess that requires ripping out the
tile there too because undermount sinks can't use the two existing sink
openings.
I am already sure I'm getting a new dishwasher and new tile flooring
replacing the old tile and carpeting in the entry with all tile instead and
using more of that same new tile to replace all the linoleum in the house
(kitchen, bathrooms, laundry). Also new carpeting and paint throughout the
house. I am budgeting much less than $20K for the entire interior of a 1000
sq ft home.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Rex" wrote
Well, the very least I want is a new better-quality 9' deep undermount
sink

Wow.
You gonna install a diving board too? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Banty" wrote
Well, tells me that you think you know way more than you really know.

Look, I do this stuff for a living.
The OP asked for suggestions, and I offered.
Then you tried to embarrass yourself by jumping on me, and you succeeded.

Which reflects on the rest of what you had to say before that little
closing..

You clearly have no ability to visualize, thats your fault.

But, anyhow, mirror and white-stainless away, with my blessing.

You didn't see me touting stainless, but don't let that stop you from making
stuff up as you go.
Onward.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article et, Don says...

"Rex" wrote
Well, the very least I want is a new better-quality 9' deep undermount
sink

Wow.
You gonna install a diving board too? ;-)

So you sell houses with shallow kitchen sinks along with all those mirrors and
gleaming white and stainless steel? (... and brass knobs).

Wow.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
wkearney99

Well, the very least I want is a new better-quality 9' deep undermount

sink
or flush-with-the-counter tiled-in sink, new faucets

See if the manufacturer of the sink that's in there currently makes a deeper
one that follows the same opening. And also make sure the under-counter
plumbing is setup to accomodate a deeper sink. It may require more plumbing
than you might be expecting so check this FIRST. A deeper model sink with a
new faucet might be a VERY easy swap.

and a better backsplash

Changing the backsplash will pretty much mean dealing with changing the
counter as well. But a deeper sink might not.

In the master bath, I need to replace the top mount oval sinks in the tile
dual-vanity with undermount sinks, so I guess that requires ripping out

the
tile there too because undermount sinks can't use the two existing sink
openings.

You've answered your own question there. You're right, over/under generally
require totally different opening setups. I suppose in a few rare cases it
might be possible to pull a topmount sink and have an opening suitable for
switching to undermount, provided you could find one that really matched the
opening. But that'd be very unlikely if it's a tiled surface. It might be
possible to lay new tiles to make it work but matching everything
(color/depth/grout) would be rather tricky.

I am already sure I'm getting a new dishwasher and new tile flooring
replacing the old tile and carpeting in the entry with all tile instead

and
using more of that same new tile to replace all the linoleum in the house
(kitchen, bathrooms, laundry). Also new carpeting and paint throughout

the
house. I am budgeting much less than $20K for the entire interior of a

1000
sq ft home.

All this for THAT tiny of a house? Seems like it's very unlikely to pay
back itself back. Putting expensive kitchens into tiny houses rarely works
unless local market conditions are VERY favorable toward it. Like someplace
that has cottages and severe restrictions on new construction.

More often than not you'd end up sinking a lot of money into a tiny house
that's "one of many" in the neighborhood and thus can't sell for 'enough' to
justify the added expense. Or, as happens a LOT here near DC, someone buys
a tiny place and just rips it down entirely to build a whole new structure,
again wasting the money.

You have to really dislike something a lot to want to waste money destroying
an otherwise perfectly usable space. Not to be insulting, but it's just a
tiny house with a boring kitchen, ask yourself seriously how much you want
to sink into it, dollar-wise. The only time I'd bother dunking a lot of
money into that sort of situation would be a long term retirement home. If
it's something transitional I'd just live with it's boring nature and save
the money towards buying something larger. Paint the walls, lay some new
floor tile and hang some curtains. You'll save THOUSANDS.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Banty says...

In article et, Don says...

"Rex" wrote
Well, the very least I want is a new better-quality 9' deep undermount
sink

Wow.
You gonna install a diving board too? ;-)

So you sell houses with shallow kitchen sinks along with all those mirrors and
gleaming white and stainless steel? (... and brass knobs).

Wow.

Ah - you're making fun of the foot-mark vs. inch-mark typo.

OK, one mark for 'Don'

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
[...]

I might sell in 5 years or more if I need to relocate for some reason, but
not very soon, so I want the upgrades for my own personal enjoyment for now.
The upgrades should also make the house stand out against others if there is
a lot of otherwise similar homes on the market at the resale time.
I don't have any compelling reason to get something bigger than this "tiny
house" right now. In fact, I was considering moving from here to a high
rise condo that was actually smaller, but I may stay and upgrade this place
instead since the neighborhood is fantastic and I have condo-like experience
without sharing walls with neighbors. Paying for a gardner and health club
membership is much cheaper than $500 a month HOA fees at the new high-rise
condo building with free fitness center and no yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Banty" wrote in message
In article et, Don
says...

"Rex" wrote
Well, the very least I want is a new better-quality 9' deep undermount
sink

Wow.
You gonna install a diving board too? ;-)

So you sell houses with shallow kitchen sinks along with all those mirrors
and
gleaming white and stainless steel? (... and brass knobs).

sigh
The small mirrors are laid down on the top of the wall cabinets, to reflect
the hidden lamps upward.
The mirrors are not visible while standing on the floor.
Again, I never mentioned anything at all about stainless.
Brass hardware is an upgrade in most areas as tract homes either do routed
finger pulls or the cheap white plastic knobs.
Price brass knobs the next time you're at the borg.
When you increase the depth of the sink you also reduce the space in the
cabinet below the sink which can cause clearance problems for disposals,
instant hots, filters, OR's and slideout trashcans as well as cleaning
products storage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article . net, Don says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article et, Don
says...

"Rex" wrote
[...]

OK, lessee here, your post:

________________________
[...]

I'm assuming "SS" is "stainless steel". So enlighten me - what is "SS"? And,
unless you're talking about a nearly-black brass, brass-colored knobs, well, I
just don't see it with the rest of your desription (although I do understand
about upgrading what's there - personally, I'm springing for some
craftsman-style hammered almost-black copper pulls to contrast with natural
maple). I'd go with brushed nickel with your description.

I admit I misunderstood about the mirrors. And I also admit I was to a large
extent funning you. Exaggerating my response for humor. Should have semaphored
that with smileys, I guess. Some readers need that.

The look you describe is extremely modern and clean. I can understand its
appeal. And I understand that someone with a really good eye and flair can
use all that to set off a pallete of colors with accessories. If you love it, go
for it. But it's a really *cold* look that doesn't have wide appeal.
Especially with those white walls. (I'd set off your solid white surfaces with
cool blue or green, but that's me.) But the discussion was on resale from a guy
asking about that. Needs something more conventional than what you describe for
wide appeal. And that's my opinion.

Cheers,
Banty (oh, and I try not to shop at the Borg. If my time were taken up with
the garden club and browsing through Kuntry Kurtains catalogs, mebbe I'd have to
shop at the Borg since they have more hours. But it's not.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Banty" wrote
OK, lessee here, your post:

Lose the tile on the counters and backspash, install a white solid surface
(SS) on the counter and a 4" SS backsplash,

I'm assuming "SS" is "stainless steel". So enlighten me - what is "SS"?

SS = solid surface

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article . net, Don says...

"Banty" wrote
OK, lessee here, your post:

Lose the tile on the counters and backspash, install a white solid surface
(SS) on the counter and a 4" SS backsplash,

I'm assuming "SS" is "stainless steel". So enlighten me - what is "SS"?

SS = solid surface

Hmmm. Seems an acronym lending itself to quite a lot of confusion. So from now
on, I'll spell out both "stainless steel" and "solid surface".

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have to agree with Banty on this one. A lot of what Don has
suggested makes no sense.

Like solid white countertops? IfRex wants a home that will have more
appeal and stand out, I would not rip out white tile countertops only
to replace it with white solid surface.

And the suggestion to just replace the existing cabinet doors with see
through glass makes no sense. The glass doored cabinets that are
attractive and add value do so because the whole cabinet, including the
inside, is designed to be seen. The wood inside is finished and
usually made of the same wood as the exterior. Putting glass doors on
existing builder cabinets will simply make the insides, which are
usually ugly, visible.

As for mirrors and mood lights, well that sort of speaks for itself!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

I found what looks like a great way to get a better look at lower cost than
demploshing and ripping out the tile and installing granite slab.

Has anyone seen Granite Transformations?
http://www.granitetransformations.com/install.html
They say it can be simply placed on top of your old counters and
backsplashes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Hill

"Rex" wrote:
I found what looks like a great way to get a better look at lower cost than
demploshing and ripping out the tile and installing granite slab.

Has anyone seen Granite Transformations?
http://www.granitetransformations.com/install.html
They say it can be simply placed on top of your old counters and
backsplashes.

I've seen it. Don't let the name fool you into thinking this stuff looks
anything like granite (except maybe a real low-end granite). OTOH, the
engineered stones (which the Granite Transformations stuff is one of many) have
a lot of nice properties, if you like the look.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Rex wrote:

[...]

I looked at these pics, as well as the later ones you posted.

Other than the fact that the recessed lights seem to be illuminating the
tops of the cabinets, rather than your workspace, the area most in need
of renovation is the floor.

I renovated (brought back from the dead, actually) a property using the
exact same neutral color scheme except I tiled the floor and laminated
the countertops, and I got the highest price ever paid in that
particular neighborhood.

So if resale is important to you (personally I prefer to live in a house
*I* like, and to hell with the next owners) just change the floor to
tile. Don't do wood, as it will probably be water damaged long before
you resell it.

I may be the only one who's already sick of granite countertops, and
thinks they'll be as outdated as those hideous pink pickled oak cabinets
I saw everywhere a few years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Banty" wrote in message
In article . net, Don
says...

"Banty" wrote
OK, lessee here, your post:

Lose the tile on the counters and backspash, install a white solid
surface
(SS) on the counter and a 4" SS backsplash,

I'm assuming "SS" is "stainless steel". So enlighten me - what is "SS"?

SS = solid surface

Hmmm. Seems an acronym lending itself to quite a lot of confusion.

Are you saying that sentence is confusing?
Please tell me what a white solid surface (SS) counter is?

So from now
on, I'll spell out both "stainless steel" and "solid surface".

Well, for people that attempted to learn how to read in the public schools,
maybe a picture would be better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to agree with Banty on this one. A lot of what Don has
suggested makes no sense.

Like solid white countertops? IfRex wants a home that will have more
appeal and stand out, I would not rip out white tile countertops only
to replace it with white solid surface.

And the suggestion to just replace the existing cabinet doors with see
through glass makes no sense. The glass doored cabinets that are
attractive and add value do so because the whole cabinet, including the
inside, is designed to be seen. The wood inside is finished and
usually made of the same wood as the exterior. Putting glass doors on
existing builder cabinets will simply make the insides, which are
usually ugly, visible.

As for mirrors and mood lights, well that sort of speaks for itself!

sigh
Another person that has had zero exposure to anything more than a double
wide.
You've never seen cabinet doors with glass inserts?
Just about ALL of the major cabinet makers have that option.
As far as your suggestion there may be something seedy about ambient light,
well, that says more about YOUR lifestyle than anything else.
When you've lived your entire life with that rusty old round flourescent
fixture in the middle of the kitchen ceiling its completely understandable
why you haven't the slightest notion as to the meaning of the THREE types of
lighting in residential applications.
And no that doesn't mean 1) candle, 2) exposed lightbulb, 3) exposed
lightbulb with a string.
Hint: Put on your sunday-go-to-church duds and go preview some of the
PERMANENT model homes in your area if any exist and observe whats going on
in the real world.
You'll know if its a permanent one if it isn't sitting on wheels and the car
in the yard is missing its wheels......

Yes, I hope you are insulted because that is exactly what you attempted to
do with your post about me.
Thanks alot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Bob (but not THAT Bob)" wrote
I may be the only one who's already sick of granite countertops, and
thinks they'll be as outdated as those hideous pink pickled oak cabinets
I saw everywhere a few years ago.

I agree Bob, and I believe the current trend in stainless appliances will
pass soon as well.
Trends change all the time.
Frankly, I think the stainless stuff looks cheap, like something you'd see
in an old greasy diner or something.
I hear it from my clients all the time that they did the stainless thing and
now its time to move on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex

"Bob (but not THAT Bob)" wrote in message
Rex wrote:

[...]

Here is a picture of a neighbor's house where they went ahead and changed
out the standard tile to granite. What do you think of this?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/9546ec69.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Muvin Gruvin

my cupboards are about the same style and wood colors as yours and I
have wood flooring.....one thing I can advise is not to paint the walls
yellow......you would be surprised as how much yellow is the woods
itself it just washes each other out. A nice mossy green is what I ended
up with.
Attended the home show. There is a company that makes a silestone
product that can go right over existing tiles. They come out measure
everything so its one solid piece. My daugher has their card so will
the info on it over the holiday. Prefer my formica countertops over
the tiles...which is what my bathroom has ....yuck yuck and more yuck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Rex says...

[...]

I didn't like the oak cabinets, and I don't buy into this stainless steel look.
I don't buy into the see-through cabinet doors either, for that matter. And why
everyone seems to be putting wood on the kitchen floors now is beyond me! But,
I've always admired the look of stone. My practical sense had me considering a
solid surface manmade counter material, but I went with the granite. To *not*
do something just because it's the style is to be just as much a slave to
fashion as it is to do something *because* it's the style. And I only live once
;-)

Here is a picture of a neighbor's house where they went ahead and changed
out the standard tile to granite. What do you think of this?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/9546ec69.jpg

Looks very warm, comfortable, and nice. Although I would have changed out the
sink for a stainless double sink. The taupey wall paint and copper sun add a
lot.

If you're still thinking resale, it's look that will hold up and have wide
appeal. But since you say you're going to stay at least five years and possibly
much longer, I'd say just do what you really want.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article et, Don says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

So - what - no one here can have a different taste from yours? If they're not
into your ultra-contemporary look, they must be trailer trash?

Consider that people aren't even criticizing your *style* necessarily
(personally I think it is slick, if done right), it's that you're putting it
forth as a widely-appealing style that Rex should do up his tract-house kitchen
in, and that's what bears some discussion. And without getting so defensive.

It hardly seems something to get so prickly about. Although I did amuse some
friends recounting how some men really can get into ****ing contests over
kitchen decor. So thanks.

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Banty" wrote in message
In article et, Don
says...

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

You can have whatever taste you want and it won't bother me at all, nor will
I down talk your choices or insult you, as you have done to me.
I offered the OP some suggestions and right away you jumped on me and you
lied about it to boot.
That silliness about solid surface meaning stainless steel.
I mean really.
You like stainless steel sinks, I don't - I think they look cheap.
But I didn't jump on you for your opinion.
Do unto others as you would like done to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"Rex" wrote
Here is a picture of a neighbor's house where they went ahead and changed
out the standard tile to granite. What do you think of this?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/9546ec69.jpg

An improvement for sure.
And that kitchen is laid out exactly like the other one.
Is this home by the same builder?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

"Don" wrote in message
news

"Rex" wrote
Here is a picture of a neighbor's house where they went ahead and

changed
out the standard tile to granite. What do you think of this?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/9546ec69.jpg

An improvement for sure.
And that kitchen is laid out exactly like the other one.
Is this home by the same builder?

This kitchen looks much more impressive than the previous photo's I saw.
Love the white sink in the dark countertops and the contrast between the
wall color and cabinet color. In the previous photo's with the oak
cabinets, I think I'd want to choose an accent color to paint the walls in,
something darker than the oak cabinets and white countertops. Something to
set off the whole room, as before it kind of all blended in together. I
also prefer the white or almond appliances over the stainless. Although
stainless might be in *in* thing right now, over the long run I think the
white or almond appliances retain their appearance much better.

As for the floors, I prefer stone in the kitchen area. I'm hovering back
and forth between the stone and hardwoods *only* because my area is a
kitchen/breakfast room. I have one long area, kitchen on one end, dining
area on the other, separated by a large open archway. We have taken out the
wall between the breakfast room and living room in our remodel. I am
putting hardwoods throughout the rest of this open area. The hallway,
living room, dining area. This area, now that we have ripped the wall out
separating off the living room from the original kitchen/breakfast room
area, will all be open. I really would prefer stone tile in the actual
'working end' of the kitchen, ending the hardwoods at that archway that
spearates working end of kitchen from dining end. I'm just afraid having
that change in flooring will make the room *feel* smaller, more choppy, than
running the hardwoods straight through. Anybody have any opinions on that?

By the way, good luck with your upgrade!

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , tiny dancer says...

"Don" wrote in message
news

"Rex" wrote
Here is a picture of a neighbor's house where they went ahead and

changed
out the standard tile to granite. What do you think of this?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/9546ec69.jpg

An improvement for sure.
And that kitchen is laid out exactly like the other one.

Although mirrored, unless the photo was reversed.

Is this home by the same builder?

Um - it's a new tract house. That's kinda what you expect. Houses of similar
if not the same plan, in a subdivision.

This kitchen looks much more impressive than the previous photo's I saw.
Love the white sink in the dark countertops and the contrast between the
wall color and cabinet color. In the previous photo's with the oak
cabinets, I think I'd want to choose an accent color to paint the walls in,
something darker than the oak cabinets and white countertops. Something to
set off the whole room, as before it kind of all blended in together.

Yeah I agree, I'm going with a green to offset the natural maple cabinets and
giallo veneziano granite (which goes toward peach and black).

also prefer the white or almond appliances over the stainless. Although
stainless might be in *in* thing right now, over the long run I think the
white or almond appliances retain their appearance much better.

White is classic. Almond and 'bisque' has the problem of mismatch when
appliances are replaced. Right now, the look is really 'out', although I do
like it when it matches.

I agree about stainless. I spent part of my youth working in a fancy German
restaurant kitchen. I don't want a commercial-looking kitchen at all.

[...]

I don't think that will look bad to have the flooring change at the archway.
I'm breaking down a wall between the kitchen and an addition, and the addition
floor isn't quite stiff enough for tile, so I'm going with a nice simple berber
that will meet up nicely with the tile. Similar to what I have there already,
but what's there already is 10 years old and there will be some later work in
that room.

Or consider tiling the whole area, using area rugs to soften and absorb sound
in the living and dining areas.

By the way, good luck with your upgrade!

Ditto on the sentiment to Rex. And you.

Cheers,
Banty