Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex

Default How to upgrade fairly new kitchen?

"wkearney99" wrote in message

Well, the very least I want is a new better-quality 9' deep undermount

sink
or flush-with-the-counter tiled-in sink, new faucets

See if the manufacturer of the sink that's in there currently makes a
deeper
one that follows the same opening. And also make sure the under-counter
plumbing is setup to accomodate a deeper sink. It may require more
plumbing
than you might be expecting so check this FIRST. A deeper model sink with
new faucet might be a VERY easy swap.

and a better backsplash

Changing the backsplash will pretty much mean dealing with changing the
counter as well. But a deeper sink might not.

In the master bath, I need to replace the top mount oval sinks in the
tile
dual-vanity with undermount sinks, so I guess that requires ripping out

the
tile there too because undermount sinks can't use the two existing sink
openings.

You've answered your own question there. You're right, over/under
generally
require totally different opening setups. I suppose in a few rare cases
it
might be possible to pull a topmount sink and have an opening suitable for
switching to undermount, provided you could find one that really matched
the
opening. But that'd be very unlikely if it's a tiled surface. It might
be
possible to lay new tiles to make it work but matching everything
(color/depth/grout) would be rather tricky.

I am already sure I'm getting a new dishwasher and new tile flooring
replacing the old tile and carpeting in the entry with all tile instead

and
using more of that same new tile to replace all the linoleum in the house
(kitchen, bathrooms, laundry). Also new carpeting and paint throughout

the
house. I am budgeting much less than $20K for the entire interior of a

1000
sq ft home.

All this for THAT tiny of a house? Seems like it's very unlikely to pay
back itself back. Putting expensive kitchens into tiny houses rarely
works
unless local market conditions are VERY favorable toward it. Like
someplace
that has cottages and severe restrictions on new construction.

More often than not you'd end up sinking a lot of money into a tiny house
that's "one of many" in the neighborhood and thus can't sell for 'enough'
justify the added expense. Or, as happens a LOT here near DC, someone
buys
a tiny place and just rips it down entirely to build a whole new
structure,
again wasting the money.

You have to really dislike something a lot to want to waste money
destroying
an otherwise perfectly usable space. Not to be insulting, but it's just a
tiny house with a boring kitchen, ask yourself seriously how much you want
to sink into it, dollar-wise. The only time I'd bother dunking a lot of
money into that sort of situation would be a long term retirement home.
If
it's something transitional I'd just live with it's boring nature and save
the money towards buying something larger. Paint the walls, lay some new
floor tile and hang some curtains. You'll save THOUSANDS.

I might sell in 5 years or more if I need to relocate for some reason, but
not very soon, so I want the upgrades for my own personal enjoyment for now.
The upgrades should also make the house stand out against others if there is
a lot of otherwise similar homes on the market at the resale time.
I don't have any compelling reason to get something bigger than this "tiny
house" right now. In fact, I was considering moving from here to a high
rise condo that was actually smaller, but I may stay and upgrade this place
instead since the neighborhood is fantastic and I have condo-like experience
without sharing walls with neighbors. Paying for a gardner and health club
membership is much cheaper than $500 a month HOA fees at the new high-rise
condo building with free fitness center and no yard.