Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Joining PVC Plastic Pipe Solvent Question

Hello:

Regarding the solvent (usually purple) that is used for bonding PVC and
conduit plastic pipe together:

What's the best technique: coat just the male piece, or both pieces where
they join ?

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

The best technique? Um, how about the one described in detail on the
can? Maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Bruss

The purple liquid is primer that is used for PVC pipe, but is not needed
for conduit. For conduit, it's best to use conduit cement, which is
thick and gray. Read the label for application. Generally, it will
require that the ends be clean and dry and that cement should be applied
to both ends. Immediately join them. The male end should seat
completely in the female end. Give a slight twist and hold for a couple
of minutes. Wear gloves to protect yourself; cement is flammable.

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Regarding the solvent (usually purple) that is used for bonding PVC and
conduit plastic pipe together:

What's the best technique: coat just the male piece, or both pieces where
they join ?

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:03:02 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Regarding the solvent (usually purple) that is used for bonding PVC and
conduit plastic pipe together:

What's the best technique: coat just the male piece, or both pieces where
they join ?

Thanks,
B.

Clean both, primer both, glue both
Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

The BEST (strongest) PVC pipe joints ar made with:

primer on both, glue on both

using the clear light bodied glue

In 20 years of using this method I've never had a joint failure

the only two joint failures in all those years, were with the Red Hot
glue (that blue crap)

I switched on one installation (thought the blue crap was better
because all the pros use it)

Not better just faster (& more likely to fail)

cheers
Bob

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

BobK207 wrote:
The BEST (strongest) PVC pipe joints ar made with:

primer on both, glue on both

using the clear light bodied glue

In 20 years of using this method I've never had a joint failure

the only two joint failures in all those years, were with the Red Hot
glue (that blue crap)

I switched on one installation (thought the blue crap was better
because all the pros use it)

Not the pro I learned from -- he taught me just as you've described,
and it has "just worked" for me ever since.

Not better just faster (& more likely to fail)

cheers
Bob

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

CJT-

My bad, when I said "pros"......... I should have said the hacks to
throw sprinlker systems together SoCal.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

BobK207 wrote:
CJT-

My bad, when I said "pros"......... I should have said the hacks to
throw sprinlker systems together SoCal.

cheers
Bob

tried that blue junk once on several joints in the irrigation system on
my parents farm, used on two inch main line. Luckily the section I used
it on was above ground at the time, over half of the joints failed
within a year or sooner. Like the pipe just blew out of the couplings.
Never had a failuer yet using the clear glue.