Bob Minchin

Default Soil stack pipe question

I've been asked to help out a friend. He is putting in a second upstairs loo
and has a single interior stack pipe which is boxed in and tiled in most
places. Looking though a small aperture in the boxing in, the pipe seems to
be black and tarry on the outside and not as smooth as plastic.
Is this 'pitch fibre' pipe? I've heard of this but not seen it before.

Can this be fitted with an adaptor to allow a UPVC branch from the new loo
to be fitted?
How would this adaptor be fitted with minmal disruption to the tiled boxing
in? The pipe is fixed in concrete at the bottom and fed through the tiled
roof. Ithas two loos an all the house waste water piped into it. Replacement
of the whole stack would be a serious upheaval.

Any advice/weblinks etc gratefully received.

TIA

Bob

Lobster

Bob Minchin wrote:
I've been asked to help out a friend. He is putting in a second upstairs loo
and has a single interior stack pipe which is boxed in and tiled in most
places. Looking though a small aperture in the boxing in, the pipe seems to
be black and tarry on the outside and not as smooth as plastic.
Is this 'pitch fibre' pipe? I've heard of this but not seen it before.

Wouldn't it just be an iron or steel pipe covered with some form of
anti-corrosion stuff?

David

Bob Minchin

Lobster wrote in message ...
Bob Minchin wrote:
I've been asked to help out a friend. He is putting in a second upstairs

loo
and has a single interior stack pipe which is boxed in and tiled in most
places. Looking though a small aperture in the boxing in, the pipe seems

be black and tarry on the outside and not as smooth as plastic.
Is this 'pitch fibre' pipe? I've heard of this but not seen it before.

Wouldn't it just be an iron or steel pipe covered with some form of
anti-corrosion stuff?

David

Hi David,

We thought that it might be CI and so tested with a magnet. Definitely non
ferrous and too irregular for plastic. In fact it felt like it had a
lengthwise ridge or seam around the back near the wall.

Bob