Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap solder joints- rant

Furnace went out last night (oil-fired 'boiler'). A little debug showed
some sparking under a relay that controls the burner and circulation
pump.

Bad solder joint where the relay soldered to the circuit board. A small
contact lead going through a large hole, 1 sided circuit board, the
thru-hole wasn't plated. Minimal solder, no fillet.

Resoldered tyhe rest of the relay connections, needless to say.

Cheap *******s.

Honeywell Aquastat L8148A

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm seriously thinking of getting a good solder-sucker. I'm surrounded
by stuff just waiting to go belly-up.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robertm

wrote in message
ups.com...
Furnace went out last night (oil-fired 'boiler'). A little debug showed
some sparking under a relay that controls the burner and circulation
pump.

Bad solder joint where the relay soldered to the circuit board. A small
contact lead going through a large hole, 1 sided circuit board, the
thru-hole wasn't plated. Minimal solder, no fillet.

Resoldered tyhe rest of the relay connections, needless to say.

Cheap *******s.

Honeywell Aquastat L8148A

Dave

My initial reaction, I thought you were going to say it was a Carlin.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Each manufacturer is a cheap so-and-so these days.
A little more solder, or a plated hole, or a hole that wasn't so
oversized, and it'd last until the relay fried.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

mm wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:03:02 -0600, J Kelly
wrote:

My dad's furnace quit a few years ago on Christmas Eve. Furnace guy

Did you check the flue for Santa Claus?

Some times he goes down the wrong chimney and gets stuck.

came out, said the controller boards was dead. He replaced it, then
waited around a bit just to be sure it was going to continue to work
ok since the old one was intermittent and he didn't want to be called
back the following morning. I looked at the old board and found a
cold solder joint, luckily I just so happened to have my pinball

I had a summer job at the US Naval Avionics Facility in Indianapolis
in 1966. Part of my job was to deliver the internal mail. In one
part of the buildingt, they had troughs of molten solder, though which
they tried to pass circuit boards, the bottoms about even with the
surface so that all the joints would solder at once, without people
doing it. One problem was getting a very flat pool of solder.

I don't know what the other problems were, but they had been working
on it before I got there, they did so all summer, and they were still
at it when I left.

I don't know if anyone ever solved this problem.

I think I'm allowed to talk about this now.

machine reapir kit with me which had a soldering iron. Resoldered the
connection on the board and had him put it back in. Worked great. The
repairman was amazed, and dad was happy that he saved a couple hundred
on the part. Cold solder joints are a real problem with electronics
and it seems to have gotten worse in the past couple years with all
the korean and chinese made junk.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Hi,
Todays service people are mostly lack good electronics knowledge.
My Carrier furnace had same kinda problem. After Googling and
investigation, it was apparent due to the heat from two hi Wattage
resistors on control board, couple solder joints were compromised. After
resoldering and drilling few holes on the plastic cover around the
resistors for better cooling, every thing is working OK again.
Locally replacement board was 320.00CAD plus tax which I did not need.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

wrote:

[...]

Koreans and Chinese make things whatever spec. calls for. They're not
making junk. Given specification is junk. By whom? You guess.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , mm wrote:

I had a summer job at the US Naval Avionics Facility in Indianapolis
in 1966. Part of my job was to deliver the internal mail. In one
part of the buildingt, they had troughs of molten solder, though which
they tried to pass circuit boards, the bottoms about even with the
surface so that all the joints would solder at once, without people
doing it. One problem was getting a very flat pool of solder.

I don't know what the other problems were, but they had been working
on it before I got there, they did so all summer, and they were still
at it when I left.

I don't know if anyone ever solved this problem.

Yes, they did. It was up and running, and had been for some time, when I
started working there in '82.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

The lead-free solders are a problem, too. A lot of the techs trained
on lead-containing solders don't know how to use the mostly tin
replacements. Another problem with the newer ones is the formation of
tin whiskers, which I believe is a crystallization process over time,
leading to the degradation of the joint.
The cold solders vary in quality, the best are silver-powder
containing epoxies. Needless to say, most are worse, and many
manufacturers do not make the design changes necessary to accommodate
the different characteristics of cold solder. Ergo, defective
parts.-Jitney

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nowadays, through-hole components are soldered by passing the boards
over a wave of solder, as opposed to a flat pool.

http://www.novastarinc.com/wave.html...FQPNPgodTwk0Sw

Not sure when these came about.

Dave

Aluminum soldering rich brenz Metalworking 15 May 19th 05 02:04 PM
Testing solder joint Grant Electronics Repair 1 October 25th 04 06:11 PM
45deg finger joints Richard Clements Woodworking 2 August 13th 04 04:45 PM
Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
Why solder will not melt? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 2 June 24th 03 02:12 PM