Grant

Default Testing solder joint

Hi all,

I have been installing a back light for my gameboy advance but I have
created a few dry joints, I am going to order some new equipment to
make it better, some braid solder sucker, new solder iron and a
multimeter so I can clean it up start again then test the new joints.

What I would really like to know is how can I test a solder joint is
perfect/good using a multimeter? Or do I need some other equipment?
Thanks
Grant

Bob Shuman

You will not be able to test the joint with a multi-meter. This is because
the dry solder joint could show as a low ohms (good) connection when you
measure and then easily break open or go high resistance (a bad connection)
at any time later.

The only way I have found to determine if a joint is bad is to physically
look at it. A magnifying glass is helpful in this regard, especially if the
joint area is small.

The best way to avoid creating a cold solder joint is to make sure your
surfaces being joined are CLEAN and that you use a good quality rosin core
solder and a well tinned temperature controlled soldering iron. You need to
leave the iron on the surfaces long enough to get them hot enough to flow
the solder and create a smooth joint.

Bob

ups.com...