Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap solder joints- rant

Furnace went out last night (oil-fired 'boiler'). A little debug showed
some sparking under a relay that controls the burner and circulation
pump.

Bad solder joint where the relay soldered to the circuit board. A small
contact lead going through a large hole, 1 sided circuit board, the
thru-hole wasn't plated. Minimal solder, no fillet.

Resoldered tyhe rest of the relay connections, needless to say.

Cheap *******s.

Honeywell Aquastat L8148A

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm seriously thinking of getting a good solder-sucker. I'm surrounded
by stuff just waiting to go belly-up.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robertm

wrote in message
ups.com...
Furnace went out last night (oil-fired 'boiler'). A little debug showed
some sparking under a relay that controls the burner and circulation
pump.

Bad solder joint where the relay soldered to the circuit board. A small
contact lead going through a large hole, 1 sided circuit board, the
thru-hole wasn't plated. Minimal solder, no fillet.

Resoldered tyhe rest of the relay connections, needless to say.

Cheap *******s.

Honeywell Aquastat L8148A

Dave

My initial reaction, I thought you were going to say it was a Carlin.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Each manufacturer is a cheap so-and-so these days.
A little more solder, or a plated hole, or a hole that wasn't so
oversized, and it'd last until the relay fried.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

The lead-free solders are a problem, too. A lot of the techs trained
on lead-containing solders don't know how to use the mostly tin
replacements. Another problem with the newer ones is the formation of
tin whiskers, which I believe is a crystallization process over time,
leading to the degradation of the joint.
The cold solders vary in quality, the best are silver-powder
containing epoxies. Needless to say, most are worse, and many
manufacturers do not make the design changes necessary to accommodate
the different characteristics of cold solder. Ergo, defective
parts.-Jitney

Aluminum soldering rich brenz Metalworking 15 May 19th 05 02:04 PM
Testing solder joint Grant Electronics Repair 1 October 25th 04 06:11 PM
45deg finger joints Richard Clements Woodworking 2 August 13th 04 04:45 PM
Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
Why solder will not melt? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 2 June 24th 03 02:12 PM