Arthur Shapiro

Default Troubleshooting CFL Lamp

I purchased three GE flourescent torchiere lamps a while back - they use the
55 watt 2D bulbs and have done a nice job of lighting up their respective
rooms.

One of them has been acting up - it takes at least a few minutes to light up,
has "burned out" one bulb, and the replacement bulb is quickly blackening near
the terminal ends and probably won't last very long.

OK, these torchieres are less than forty bucks, and perhaps the right answer
is to replace it, but I'm curious if there's any user-replaceable ballast or
what-have-you inside. I'm quite ignorant of their operational specifics.

Appreciate any advice.

Art
Joseph Meehan

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I purchased three GE flourescent torchiere lamps a while back - they
use the 55 watt 2D bulbs and have done a nice job of lighting up
their respective rooms.

One of them has been acting up - it takes at least a few minutes to
light up, has "burned out" one bulb, and the replacement bulb is
quickly blackening near the terminal ends and probably won't last
very long.

OK, these torchieres are less than forty bucks, and perhaps the right
answer is to replace it, but I'm curious if there's any
user-replaceable ballast or what-have-you inside. I'm quite ignorant
of their operational specifics.

Appreciate any advice.

Art

It likely has a replaceable ballast and that would be a good guess as to
what the problem is. You could try taking it apart, finding the ballast and
removing it. Take it to the electrical supply house, you could try the
hardware store) and see if they have one or a replacement for it. My guess
is it would be easier and maybe even cheaper to replace the lamp.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit