Arthur Shapiro

Default Troubleshooting CFL Lamp

I purchased three GE flourescent torchiere lamps a while back - they use the
55 watt 2D bulbs and have done a nice job of lighting up their respective
rooms.

One of them has been acting up - it takes at least a few minutes to light up,
has "burned out" one bulb, and the replacement bulb is quickly blackening near
the terminal ends and probably won't last very long.

OK, these torchieres are less than forty bucks, and perhaps the right answer
is to replace it, but I'm curious if there's any user-replaceable ballast or
what-have-you inside. I'm quite ignorant of their operational specifics.

Appreciate any advice.

Art