phaeton

Default Metal Roofs

In the throes of buying a house as we speak. It is a two-story gig
with a vaulted ceiling in the upstairs. The rafters of the roof are
visible in the upstairs so i'm assuming that there is pretty much no
insulation between that living space and the roof. Anyways, looks like
the roof leaks and is in need of a total replacement (it has shingles
on top of shingles). We've got some power to negotiate this into the
purchase price, but in the meantime I have a few questions regarding
roofing material:

1) Do metal roofs last longer?
2) Do metal roofs (typically) cost more to install? Significantly?
3) Are metal roofs unbearably loud during a rainstorm?
4) Are metal roofs immune to ice-damming and snowpacking (State of
Wisconsin)
5) Do they come in colors to match the house (black or dark brown)?
6) Are metal roofs uncommon because most people think they are "ugly"?

7) Any additional info or insight about metal roof vs. the standard
asphalt shingle are appreciated.

Thanks!

Edwin Pawlowski

"phaeton" wrote in message

1) Do metal roofs last longer?

Some have 50 year warranties

2) Do metal roofs (typically) cost more to install? Significantly?

Yes, from what I've seen, but that may be changing as they become more
popular.

3) Are metal roofs unbearably loud during a rainstorm?

No. they are far different than the old tin roof on a barn.

4) Are metal roofs immune to ice-damming and snowpacking (State of
Wisconsin)

Can't say, but I'd think proper installation would help.

5) Do they come in colors to match the house (black or dark brown)?

And red and blue and white.

6) Are metal roofs uncommon because most people think they are "ugly"?

Quality residential roofing with nice style is relatively new. Some look
just like slate shingles.

7) Any additional info or insight about metal roof vs. the standard
asphalt shingle are appreciated.

Only thing that held me back when I re-roofed a few years ago was cost.

m Ransley

1 yes
2 yes
3yes
4 no
6 yes
Wisconsin, get their past heating bills , I would be sure I could
retrofit R 60 ++up there, likely using R 7.2" foamboard, be sure to have
an airspace so heat is not trapped. It wont be cheap to insulate but
will be excessive to heat.

m Ransley

If you have trees above that loose branches metal is not a good idea.

There are lots of "metal" roofs.
There are different materials and different installation arrangements.

I live in Charleston South Carolina where standing seam metal roofs are
common.
Mine was badly compromised during Hurricane Hugo.
At a guess, it was installin in the late '30s and was blown off in the
late '80s.
I replaced it with terne coated stainless steel standing seam and do
not expect to deal with it again.
This is a high end material and an expensive installation and worth
every penny, since the house is 35 feet high at the eaves.

TB

Metal is just fine in this condition.
I have a small rental with "tin" standing seam that has been around at
least 28 years, is situated below a well grown Sycamore, and has no
damage.
TB

My metal roofs - two different metals of two different ages - are not
loud during rain storms.
TB

Susan \(CobbersMom\)

Hey, if you want to see alot of metal roofs, keep driving north to the U.P.
Extremely common up there.
I just put a carribean blue metal roof on my house about 3 years ago. Was
plagued with ice dams before that and now none. The ONLY drawback I see is
the snow sliding off and compacting next to the house. Unlike when I roof
raked the shingle roof, I was there to move the snow immediately before it
hardened.
I am very happy with mine. More and more people are putting them on all the
time. I work in zoning and see some great metal roofs on half million
dollar houses.
Sue
Minocqua, WI
Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE
'04 TW200 (mud = fun)
Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937
Kawasaki '01 Ninja 500R (soon to be mine, I hope)

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't
matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

phaeton

Excellent!

I really like the concept of metal roofs. My loony liberal side likes
that they are often made of recycled steel and are a better product
(environmentally) than asphalt, etc. The house itself is made from a
lot of recycled barn timber so it would only make sense.

Thanks for all the comments.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM