Gntry

Default Replacement windows

I have a question about replacement windows...over the summer I had all my
windows replaced with brand new "replacement" windows, not "new build"
windows. Yesterday was a very windy day(65mph) and with the windows shut and
locked, I could feel cold air blowing in from the sides, where the 2 sashes
come together along the tracks on the wall that they slide up/down on(follow
me?) I know when they were installed, there was insulation stuffed in the
gaps before the finishing boards were put on.. anyway, my question is, does
every/any window always have some amount of air leakage?
Thanks for any input.
CG in NY

Todd H.

"Gntry" writes:
I have a question about replacement windows...over the summer I had all my
windows replaced with brand new "replacement" windows, not "new build"
windows. Yesterday was a very windy day(65mph) and with the windows shut and
locked, I could feel cold air blowing in from the sides, where the 2 sashes
come together along the tracks on the wall that they slide up/down on(follow
me?) I know when they were installed, there was insulation stuffed in the
gaps before the finishing boards were put on.. anyway, my question is, does
every/any window always have some amount of air leakage?
Thanks for any input.
CG in NY

In tropical storm force winds (39-73mph), or F0 Gale tornado
(40-72mph) winds, yes, some leakage around windows would be expected!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
PDQ

Seems to me that what you need is some foam window/door insulation that comes in a pressure can.

This stuff is specially formulated to be a great insulator and to not apply any pressure on the sash.

I got mine a Home Depot and it really works.

--
PDQ