miamicuse

Default Overhead florescent light is now dimmer, why?

I have in the kitchen a pair of overhead light fixture. Each fixture has two
florescent tubes and both fixtures are controlled by the same light switch.

Tonight one of them suddenly dimmed and remain about half as bright as the
other one. No flickering, just half as bright. I thought the tubes may be
going bad so I went and bought two new tubes - same wattage same brand. No
difference. Still dimmed.

Any idea what could be the problem? Do I need a new light?

MC

Joseph Meehan

miamicuse wrote:
I have in the kitchen a pair of overhead light fixture. Each fixture
has two florescent tubes and both fixtures are controlled by the same
light switch.

Tonight one of them suddenly dimmed and remain about half as bright
as the other one. No flickering, just half as bright. I thought the
tubes may be going bad so I went and bought two new tubes - same
wattage same brand. No difference. Still dimmed.

Any idea what could be the problem? Do I need a new light?

MC

You could have a wiring problem, or a bad ballast. At least now you
have two spare lamps.

You might try switching the ballast and see if the problem follows the
ballast. Be careful and make really sure the power is off before doing any
wiring work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

buffalobill

be careful with powerful knowledge ahead at this link

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/flamp.htm#pwf

MiamiCuse

I did recently tinker with another lamp next to the kitchen that has a
different ligth switch. I replaced the original toggle switch with a
dimmer type. I think I did it right, it works...

I have no idea if the kitchen overhead lights are connected to this
other lamp in some way or not, is it possible one can affect the other?
or when you say wiring you mean the wiring of the florescent lamps? If
so then no, nothing has happened to it's wiring, other than hurricane
Wilma we have a series of power up power down cycles.

Thanks,

MC

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
miamicuse wrote:
I have in the kitchen a pair of overhead light fixture. Each fixture has two
florescent tubes and both fixtures are controlled by the same light switch.

Tonight one of them suddenly dimmed and remain about half as bright as the
other one. No flickering, just half as bright. I thought the tubes may be
going bad so I went and bought two new tubes - same wattage same brand. No
difference. Still dimmed.

Any idea what could be the problem? Do I need a new light?

Does the dimmer fixture have only one tube lit? Are there starters in the
fixture? If so, try replaceing them.

Joseph Meehan

MiamiCuse wrote:
I did recently tinker with another lamp next to the kitchen that has a
different ligth switch. I replaced the original toggle switch with a
dimmer type. I think I did it right, it works...

I have no idea if the kitchen overhead lights are connected to this
other lamp in some way or not, is it possible one can affect the
other? or when you say wiring you mean the wiring of the florescent
lamps? If so then no, nothing has happened to it's wiring, other
than hurricane Wilma we have a series of power up power down cycles.

Thanks,

MC

The you could have a bad ground and that would be a wiring problem. You
also could have a wiring problem inside the lamp, between the sockets and
the ballast. I doubt if the other light is connected with this problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

MiamiCuse

No, both fixtures are operated by the same toggle switch. Each fixture
has two tubes. I don't know what you mean by "starters"?

I replaced both tubes with new ones, no change in results. Still very
dimmed lights. When I replaced both tubes in one fixture, both tubes
are lit but dimmed.

Thanks,

MC

Rich Greenberg

In article . com,
MiamiCuse wrote:
No, both fixtures are operated by the same toggle switch. Each fixture
has two tubes. I don't know what you mean by "starters"?

Near one end of each tube is there a small silver colored cylinder
sticking out? There should be a flat surface on the fixture between the
2 ends of the tube. The starter (if there is one) will be sticking out
of a hole in that flat surface near one end of the tube.

I don't think a bad starter would cause your symptoms.

Survey on Newsgroup Behavior Jens Arndt Home Repair 27 November 2nd 04 01:45 PM
Inground spa light replac barry martin Home Repair 0 October 14th 04 12:30 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
strange problem connecting light to dimmer John Hunter Home Repair 6 January 19th 04 07:57 PM
dimmer for 3 light zones? IanJ UK diy 7 July 16th 03 11:01 PM