Default How To Use An Internal Pipe Wrench

The pipe coming out of my shower broke and there is still a piece of
the pipe in the fitting in the wall. It was a half inch pipe that
broke.

I tried an easy out to remove the broken pipe and that didn't work.
Someone suggested using an internal pipe wrench. So I bought a set of
those. The 1/2" fits loosely in the fitting and the 3/4" doesn't fit.

I'm assuming that I have to use the 1/2" wrench. But when I use it, it
just turns inside the fitting and doesn't seem to be catching the
broken.

So I wanted to know if there is a trick to using this tool. Any help
would be appreciated.

No

Hopefully the connection is not soldered in place! I use an easy out,
sorry I cant help you with an 'internal' pipe wrench. Did it come with
instructions? Why didn't the easy out work? Sometime you need to
lightly tap it into the pipe so it bites, then just apply a wrench.
Remeber, lefty loosey, righty tighty!

The easy out didn't work because the 1/2" was too loose.

I did get one with a cam. The directions only said to insert the
wrench and go counterclockwise. And yes it's a threaded pipe.

I tried what you said but it doesn't seem to be able to grip the pipe.
Is the broken piece supposed to come out in one piece or does this
break it up into little pieces.

Also it seems like there is at least an 1/8" or an inch or room inside
the pipe when I insert the internal wrench.

Any more ideas? Thanks for the help.

Duane Bozarth

wrote:

The easy out didn't work because the 1/2" was too loose.

I did get one with a cam. The directions only said to insert the
wrench and go counterclockwise. And yes it's a threaded pipe.

I tried what you said but it doesn't seem to be able to grip the pipe.
Is the broken piece supposed to come out in one piece or does this
break it up into little pieces.

The wrench will grip the inside of the pipe and (hopefully) allow you to
turn it--the only difference is the "grabber" is inside instead of
outside the pipe.

I can't speculate further on why the tool doesn't work w/o being able to
see what's going on in your particular situation. I've used one on the
rare occasion and they are reasonably effective.

You didn't buy some really cheap thingy, I don't suppose? I suppose
it's also possible that it's sized for metric pipe or some such but that
would be a stretch at least in the US, it would seem...

Also it seems like there is at least an 1/8" or an inch or room inside
the pipe when I insert the internal wrench.

That sounds about right -- the cam should flop out and grab when you
rotate in the opposite direction from which it will go back inside the
diameter of the main piece...

Any more ideas? Thanks for the help.

Not w/o being able to see/touch it...

Next step would be to just bite the bullet and break open the wall or
call a pro I guess...

Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
The pipe coming out of my shower broke and there is still a piece of
the pipe in the fitting in the wall. It was a half inch pipe that
broke.

I tried an easy out to remove the broken pipe and that didn't work.
Someone suggested using an internal pipe wrench. So I bought a set of
those. The 1/2" fits loosely in the fitting and the 3/4" doesn't fit.

I'm assuming that I have to use the 1/2" wrench. But when I use it, it
just turns inside the fitting and doesn't seem to be catching the
broken.

So I wanted to know if there is a trick to using this tool. Any help
would be appreciated.

When you put it in the pipe try shaking it turning it and see if it will
catch, then hold pressure on it and go to wrench. Try not to lose the grip
on pipe before you use the wrench. Is the cam nice and lose? Is this what
type you bought
http://www.grainger.com/industrial-s...ches3ZG99.html

So should the cam be inside the pipe when I start or it works it way
in?

And should the broken section of pipe come out in one piece?

I'm trying to avoid opening up the wall because it's an old house and
it will be a mess.

That is the type that I bought. It just seems that I can't get it to
catch and get a grip. To me it just seems too loose a fit.

Is there supposed to be a size between 1/2" and 3/4"? I didn't see one
in the store, but I'm running out of ideas.

Brian V

wrote in message
oups.com...
So should the cam be inside the pipe when I start or it works it way
in?

And should the broken section of pipe come out in one piece?

I'm trying to avoid opening up the wall because it's an old house and
it will be a mess.

CAM should be in the pipe when you start.

If I put it in as far as it can go it would be past the broken pipe.
I've been trying to get the cam in the section where the broken pipe
is.

Should I put the wrench in as far as I can?

I guess I can.

I put it in and it spins but it doesn't catch no matter what I try.
The broken section is probably only an inch long. This is why it's so
frustrating.

If it would catch then I'm sure the piece would come out.

Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess I can.

I put it in and it spins but it doesn't catch no matter

what I try.
The broken section is probably only an inch long. This is

why it's so
frustrating.

If it would catch then I'm sure the piece would come out.

Naybe the 3/4" tool is the right one, and you need to ream
out the beginning of the hole to get it past the part
compressed when the pipe was cut.

Bob

Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
The pipe coming out of my shower broke and there is still a piece of
the pipe in the fitting in the wall. It was a half inch pipe that
broke.

I tried an easy out to remove the broken pipe and that didn't work.
Someone suggested using an internal pipe wrench. So I bought a set of
those. The 1/2" fits loosely in the fitting and the 3/4" doesn't fit.

I'm assuming that I have to use the 1/2" wrench. But when I use it, it
just turns inside the fitting and doesn't seem to be catching the
broken.

So I wanted to know if there is a trick to using this tool. Any help
would be appreciated.

I have two of those tools I just looked Cheap Twain I always thought one was
for 3/4 " but the both fit 1/2" and one is a 1/16" bigger and grabs much
better. I'm sure your talking about the stub out for the shower head. If it
is the chrome 1/2" pipe you broke go buy one ( you need one anyway)and then
find a remover to fit that it should grab by hand a little.

It is a pretty thin pipe. I'm going to give it another try. The idea
about using a nail to make up the space is a good idea. I'm going to
try that.

Don Young

You might try holding back pressure (clockwise) on the other part of the
wrench while turning the wrenching part counterclockwise to get the teeth to
grip. Be sure to turn the wrenching part clockwise before inserting to be
sure the wedging cam is properly positioned to tighten when you turn the
wrenching part counterclockwise. Look carefully as you turn it back and
forth before installing to be sure you understand how it wedges in the pipe.
If it is a good tool it should tighten securely, wedging tighter as you
apply more counterclockwise force.
Do;n Young
wrote in message
ups.com...
It is a pretty thin pipe. I'm going to give it another try. The idea
about using a nail to make up the space is a good idea. I'm going to
try that.

BobK207

take a pair of tin snips & cut a small piece to soup can to wrap around
the internal pipe wrench. This will take up the extra space.

tighten first THEN loosen

a good set of internal pipes wrenches will save a whole lot time over
the alterntives.

jsut used one a few weeks ago............done in less than an 1/2 an
hour the alternative would have taken hours

cheers
Bob

I finally was able to get this task done. I ended up using some small
chisels and a screwdriver to get out the broken pipe out of the
threads. By doing that I was eventually able to get the new pipe
screwed in all the way. It wasn't fun.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and info.