Duane Bozarth

Default How To Use An Internal Pipe Wrench

wrote:

The easy out didn't work because the 1/2" was too loose.

I did get one with a cam. The directions only said to insert the
wrench and go counterclockwise. And yes it's a threaded pipe.

I tried what you said but it doesn't seem to be able to grip the pipe.
Is the broken piece supposed to come out in one piece or does this
break it up into little pieces.

The wrench will grip the inside of the pipe and (hopefully) allow you to
turn it--the only difference is the "grabber" is inside instead of
outside the pipe.

I can't speculate further on why the tool doesn't work w/o being able to
see what's going on in your particular situation. I've used one on the
rare occasion and they are reasonably effective.

You didn't buy some really cheap thingy, I don't suppose? I suppose
it's also possible that it's sized for metric pipe or some such but that
would be a stretch at least in the US, it would seem...

Also it seems like there is at least an 1/8" or an inch or room inside
the pipe when I insert the internal wrench.

That sounds about right -- the cam should flop out and grab when you
rotate in the opposite direction from which it will go back inside the
diameter of the main piece...

Any more ideas? Thanks for the help.

Not w/o being able to see/touch it...

Next step would be to just bite the bullet and break open the wall or
call a pro I guess...