Jeff Wisnia

Default How To Use An Internal Pipe Wrench

wrote:
That is the type that I bought. It just seems that I can't get it to
catch and get a grip. To me it just seems too loose a fit.

Is there supposed to be a size between 1/2" and 3/4"? I didn't see one
in the store, but I'm running out of ideas.

I'll take a WAG that the wrench is designed to work with standard iron
pipe, and that your piece of shower arm is thinner wall brass, with a
larger inside diameter so the internal wrench just can't open up enough
to do it's thing.

I can't see what you're doing, but if you get the cam piece inside that
pipe, why not try driving a couple of appropriate sized finishing nails
between the outside of the wrench and the inside of the pipe on the side
of the wrench opposite to where the cam will swing out.

That may take up the excess space and let the wrench get a grip.

It's like giving an enema to a dead man to try and resuscitate him, it
might not help, but it sure won't make him any worse.

Let us all know how it comes out, if it comes out. :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)