Pop

Default Easy question: I hope re water heaters

Do all water heaters have a pressure relief valve of the type
with the handle to test them?
Ours is an oil-fired unit, works great, I drain out hte crud
approxumately monthly, give or take.
I was looking at the pressure relief valve today: There is no
mechanical way of opening or testing it. It doesn't look like
anything has been removed or jerry-rigged; I'm pretty sure it's
the original part, unmodified. But there's no handle or pin or
anything to see if it works or if it's plugged, whatever.
A quick check via Google didn't show me anything that looked
like mine, so thought I'd see what experience here might say.

Should I be looking into this further? I can provide a picture
if necessary - didn't think about taking a pic until just now.

TIA,

Pop
---
No one should ever have to unsubscribe
from a list they did not intentionally
subscribe to.

Greg O

"Pop" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I would be concerned about it. Missing or non-functioning pressure
relief valves can turn your heater into a bomb.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Pop" wrote in message
Do all water heaters have a pressure relief valve of the type
with the handle to test them?
Ours is an oil-fired unit, works great, I drain out hte crud
approxumately monthly, give or take.
I was looking at the pressure relief valve today: There is no
mechanical way of opening or testing it.

Every one I ever saw had a handle. Could it be missing?

Keep in mind though, that often when you test them they do not re-seat
properly and will leak.

Pop

Default Pics: Easy question: I hope re water heaters

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
: ...
:
: Every one I ever saw had a handle. Could it be missing?
:
: Keep in mind though, that often when you test them they do not
re-seat
: properly and will leak.
Understood.

I'm probably going to replace it just on principle since I
started researching and can't find any such looking one and I
dont' want to disassemble it, old as it is g.

No, there's nothing missing, I'm pretty sure. Where the handle's
shaft would normally go into it, it's just a smooth metal with
sort of a ridge on top. Just for GPs, I went down and shot a
couple of pics of it.
You can move from one pic to the other by just changing the
digit "1" to a "2" or "3", and so forth.
http://www.twaynesdomain.com/WaterHeater/image1.jpg Head-on
http://www.twaynesdomain.com/WaterHeater/image2.jpg Side 3/4
http://www.twaynesdomain.com/WaterHeater/image3.jpg Overall,
Tank

There are no links to those pics; you have to use these URLs
above.

I acidentally did a double-jpg save on them, but ... I'm sure
there is still plenty of definition there to see what I'm talking
about.
The stamped metal tag next to it does a great job of
explaining how important the relief valve IS, and says to check
it periodically, but that's all. No other instructions of any
kind. Strangely enough, the instructions on the same plate for
inspecting/changing the anode are very precise and detail the
entire process. Strange!
The box sticking out at about the mid-height of the heater is
the thermostat, and below on the bottom is the oil pump/ignition
parts.

We've been here since 1983, and the heater was there when we
moved in, so it's not new, but it is clean inside. Our
maintenance buy said everything in it looked "spectacular",
including the anode, and mentioned he'd never seen a relief valve
like that, but ... and that was probably about 3 years ago now.
Oh, the drips down the side of the tank are from using a
power-washer last spring to clean the floor/walls. They're not
from leaks.

Comments welcome ... think I should make the replacement a
priority?

TIA

Pop

Toller

"Pop" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
: "Pop" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Contact the manufacturer. Ask them. PT valves aren't cheap.

Actually, I would just replace a 20 year old heater. You are on borrowed
time. I have one that is 23 years old, but only use it a few months a year.

Bill

Here is some information about these valves...

Testing the Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve...
http://ask.bairdwarner.com/content/R...?ASK=3.386.231

The Temperature/Pressure Relief Valve...
http://www.myguardian.com/code/tpr/tpr.htm

Might want to consider solar if thinking of replacing the water heater...
http://www.toolbase.org/techinv/tech...chnologyID=112

"Pop" wrote in message
[...]

Pop

Thanks, but, the problem as I said is that there is no handle or
other mechanism I can see to do those tests shown there. I
posted an addition with pics yesterday to show what I have.

: "Pop" wrote in message
[...]
: ---
: No one should ever have to unsubscribe
: from a list they did not intentionally
: subscribe to.
:
:
:
:

Pop

"Toller" wrote in message
:
: "Pop" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
: ...
: : "Pop" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Do all water heaters have a pressure relief valve of the
type
: : with the handle to test them?
: : Ours is an oil-fired unit, works great, I drain out hte
: crud
: : approxumately monthly, give or take.
: : I was looking at the pressure relief valve today:
There is
: no
: : mechanical way of opening or testing it.
: :
[...]
I would contact them if I could find them g. No one around
here has either not heard of them OR remember t hem from "way
back". Apparently it's a good product, and a very expensive
one also from what I've been told, but the closest I've come to
finding them is they might be a Canadian outfit. One plumbing
supply warned me to be careful if I replace the valve - the
threads might not match.
I do have to admit it's super-efficient, fast and works like
no other heater I've ever seen. It heats faster than you can
use the hot water; we've never run out.

Pop

If its old, at the very least, I'd replace the relief valve to be on
the safe side. The older they are, the more likely they are to leak
after you open them. Also, as someone else pointed out, if the water
heater is nearing the end of it's life, I'd consider replacing the
whole thing. That decision depends a lot on where the unit is located
and how much damage a leak would create.

PipeDown

"Pop" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote in message
:
: "Pop" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
: ...
: : "Pop" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Not running out of hot water sounds great but draining monthly to get rid of
crud sounds like more maintenence than normal and a lot of wasted water, not
what I would call efficient unless you have a well with sediment problems in
which any WH would need the same care.