miamicuse

Default Roofing Choices

After Wilma I walked around and saw all types of roof damages. The only
types that seemed undamaged are metal roofing, something like this:

http://www.fabral.com/layout/home-8.jpg

and flat roof tiles like this:

http://www.vhr-roof-tile.com/images/...duct_Photo.jpg

Barrel roof tiles seem to always get blown or shifted at the bottom or along
the ridge. Shingles - nothing is left. I have barrel tiled roof now and
has been for about 10 years so may be due for replacement.

Any idea the cost comparison between metal roof and flat tile roof? I heard
stories about rain falling on metal roof can be very loud and annoying. Any
pros and cons?

Thanks,

MC

Travis Jordan

miamicuse wrote:
Barrel roof tiles seem to always get blown or shifted at the bottom
or along the ridge. Shingles - nothing is left. I have barrel tiled
roof now and has been for about 10 years so may be due for
replacement.

Shingles are generally rated only for 60 mph, and from some
manufacturers up to 110 mph if fastened with six nails per shingle.

The failure mode for tiles has more to do with the attachment method.
After Andrew the only approved attachment system for Miami / Dade was
this one:
http://www.polyfoam.cc/products/roof/polyset.html (When I reroofed two
years ago with flat tiles I used this system).

Metal roofing is good too if properly installed, but as you noted it can
be noisy and in salt air environments, prone to rust. Cost is slighly
higher than good quality tile.

Before reroofing, read this -

http://blueprintforsafety.org/windre...rkeeproof.aspx

I'd highly recommend installation of hurricane straps (if you don't
already have them), adding gable-end bracing if you have that type of
roof, renailing all your sheating, installation of a secondary water
barrier, the use of modified bitumen as the cap sheet in your
underlayment system, and Polyfoam attachment of the tiles. Get the job
done right and you'll have a roof that can withstand a Cat 5 storm.
Note however that it will still likely be badly damaged by wind borne
debris from your neighbor's homes.

Edwin Pawlowski

miamicuse wrote:

Any idea the cost comparison between metal roof and flat tile roof?

Metal used to be more expensive, but that may have changed. Get some local
prices.

I heard stories about rain falling on metal roof can be very loud and
annoying. Any pros and cons?

Yes, on tin barn roofs. Not on the newer home roofing systems.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

jdk

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

Any idea the cost comparison between metal roof and flat tile roof?

Metal used to be more expensive, but that may have changed. Get some local
prices.

I heard stories about rain falling on metal roof can be very loud and
annoying. Any pros and cons?

Yes, on tin barn roofs. Not on the newer home roofing systems.

i got gerard metal shingle style for 1/3 more than 40yr reg shingles.
cols ohio area.

Rich256

"jdk" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

Any idea the cost comparison between metal roof and flat tile roof?

Metal used to be more expensive, but that may have changed. Get some

local
prices.

I heard stories about rain falling on metal roof can be very loud and
annoying. Any pros and cons?

Yes, on tin barn roofs. Not on the newer home roofing systems.

i got gerard metal shingle style for 1/3 more than 40yr reg shingles.
cols ohio area.

No noticable noise on my Gerard roof: Stone covered.

http://www.gerardusa.com

Travis Jordan

Rich256 wrote:
No noticable noise on my Gerard roof: Stone covered.

http://www.gerardusa.com

Looks like a good product. Note that only the Gerard Canyon Shake
product meets uplift requirements for a Cat 5 in the HVHZ.

http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcod...a/04051302.pdf

jdk

Travis Jordan wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

No noticable noise on my Gerard roof: Stone covered.

http://www.gerardusa.com

Looks like a good product. Note that only the Gerard Canyon Shake
product meets uplift requirements for a Cat 5 in the HVHZ.

http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcod...a/04051302.pdf

i must be on drugs, i did not mean to say they were noisy. i like them.
sorry.
Rich256

"jdk" wrote in message
Travis Jordan wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

No noticable noise on my Gerard roof: Stone covered.

http://www.gerardusa.com

Looks like a good product. Note that only the Gerard Canyon Shake
product meets uplift requirements for a Cat 5 in the HVHZ.

http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcod...a/04051302.pdf

i must be on drugs, i did not mean to say they were noisy. i like them.
sorry.

You didn't someone previous to you did and I was agreeing with you. Got a
sizeable insurance hail resistant discount too.

Rob

Rich256 wrote:
"jdk" wrote in message

Travis Jordan wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

No noticable noise on my Gerard roof: Stone covered.

http://www.gerardusa.com

Looks like a good product. Note that only the Gerard Canyon Shake
product meets uplift requirements for a Cat 5 in the HVHZ.

http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcod...a/04051302.pdf

i must be on drugs, i did not mean to say they were noisy. i like them.
sorry.

You didn't someone previous to you did and I was agreeing with you. Got a
sizeable insurance hail resistant discount too.

I have an 80 year old slate roof that has been through hurricanes but we
don't get as high winds here in PA as folks down in hurricane alley do
so I'm not sure how well slate would hold up in extreme wind conditions.

Rob

miamicuse

"Rich256" wrote in message

"jdk" wrote in message
Travis Jordan wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

No noticable noise on my Gerard roof: Stone covered.

http://www.gerardusa.com

Looks like a good product. Note that only the Gerard Canyon Shake
product meets uplift requirements for a Cat 5 in the HVHZ.

http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcod...a/04051302.pdf

i must be on drugs, i did not mean to say they were noisy. i like them.
sorry.

You didn't someone previous to you did and I was agreeing with you. Got a
sizeable insurance hail resistant discount too.

How about the standing seam metal roof? Anyone tried them? Can those be
installed easily or they need special framing?

MC

Rich256

"miamicuse" wrote in message

How about the standing seam metal roof? Anyone tried them? Can those be
installed easily or they need special framing?

MC

I can't answer but there are lots of web sites that might be of help:

http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrar...oofBasics.html

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
OT-DIY Rubber roofing Al A. Metalworking 18 August 25th 05 02:53 AM
Metal roofing advice [email protected] Home Repair 5 August 8th 05 12:20 AM
rolled roofing removal NewRoofer Home Repair 5 February 10th 04 04:41 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM