Joe B.

Default foundation problem?

After pulling up the linoleum to put down a tile floor a couple of years
ago, I noticed a very small crack that runs all the way from the front to
the back of this room (about 20 feet). More recently I noticed that the
cieling sheetrock is developing a similar type crack in the exact same area.
The floor crack is covered and the cieling crack is easily repaired with
compound and some paint, but I'm wondering if this means that I may have a
foundation problem? If so, what can be done? Thanks.

Joe

Joe B. wrote:
After pulling up the linoleum to put down a tile floor a couple of years
ago, I noticed a very small crack that runs all the way from the front to
the back of this room (about 20 feet). More recently I noticed that the
cieling sheetrock is developing a similar type crack in the exact same area.
The floor crack is covered and the cieling crack is easily repaired with
compound and some paint, but I'm wondering if this means that I may have a
foundation problem? If so, what can be done? Thanks.

Joe

your foundation may be sinking. the soil the footing is on may not have
been tampered well enough. you may have to underpin.

If there is differential movement between one part and another of the
building, the walls should show some crack or deformation. If you are
concerned, look for a forensic engineer or an engineer with experience
in residential construction. Expect to pay $100 or more an hour.
TB

Mikepier

Some settling is normal. If its a smal crack I would not be too
concerned.

Joe B.

Yea at this point it is just a small crack. There is no actual movement of
the concrete yet other than these very small cracks (probably 1/16 of an
inch wide). I just wanted to be proactive if it would help.

Joe

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some settling is normal. If its a smal crack I would not be too
concerned.

Sacramento Dave

"Joe B." wrote in message
After pulling up the linoleum to put down a tile floor a couple of years
ago, I noticed a very small crack that runs all the way from the front to
the back of this room (about 20 feet). More recently I noticed that the
cieling sheetrock is developing a similar type crack in the exact same

area.
The floor crack is covered and the cieling crack is easily repaired with
compound and some paint, but I'm wondering if this means that I may have a
foundation problem? If so, what can be done? Thanks.

Joe

They don't put any expansion joints in a house slab. You will always get

some cracks. Most the time they put the wire mesh for reinforcement. I would
rather see a 12" grid of #4 rebar . The ceiling cracks can be from allot of
things, settling Roof load,( especially with tile roof). One word of
advise Do not spackle sheetrock cracks use paintable caulking it will move
the sheetrock the spackle will just crack again.

Icemaker problem Andy Home Repair 12 April 16th 05 03:05 PM
FOUNDATION PROBLEM john246 Home Repair 5 March 21st 05 01:16 AM
Surface ground water problem [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 9th 04 07:53 PM
Wiring problem A Nony Mous Home Repair 10 May 28th 04 03:00 AM