Toller

Default getting nails out of concrete

I am removing some carpet tack strips from a concrete floor. When I pry the
nails out, they take up some concrete with them.

Someway to avoid that? I tried nailing one down to the head, but that
didn't work out well.

Do I have to bother patching the damage? One is in a conspicuos place and I
would like to patch it, but with what?

I haven't gotten around to removing the bottom plate of an extinct wall yet,
but presume I will have the same problem there, only worse as the nails are
bigger. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joseph Meehan

Toller wrote:
I am removing some carpet tack strips from a concrete floor. When I
pry the nails out, they take up some concrete with them.

Someway to avoid that? I tried nailing one down to the head, but that
didn't work out well.

Do I have to bother patching the damage? One is in a conspicuos
place and I would like to patch it, but with what?

Are they going to be visible when you are finished (concrete finish
floor)? You can stop by the hardware store and they will sell you the
materials you need to patch surface flaws.

I haven't gotten around to removing the bottom plate of an extinct
wall yet, but presume I will have the same problem there, only worse
as the nails are bigger. Any advice would be appreciated.

I like the idea of grinding them off, it they are a bother to you.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bob

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
I am removing some carpet tack strips from a concrete floor. When I
pry the nails out, they take up some concrete with them.

Someway to avoid that? I tried nailing one down to the head, but that
didn't work out well.

For nails in plaster, I made a metal plate with a slot cut in it to fit around the nail. I slip it over the nail shaft,
then grab the nail shaft with a large, slightly angled, diagonal cutter I own. Then I pry the nail out. The metal plate
applies the force against the plaster right around the nail, so no plaster chips out in most cases.

Bob

Toller

"Don" wrote in message
Grind off the nail heads?

I sorta followed your suggestion. I used a rotary tool with a metal cutting
disk. Worked great.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:40:25 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I am removing some carpet tack strips from a concrete floor. When I pry the
nails out, they take up some concrete with them.

Someway to avoid that? I tried nailing one down to the head, but that
didn't work out well.

Do I have to bother patching the damage? One is in a conspicuos place and I
would like to patch it, but with what?

I haven't gotten around to removing the bottom plate of an extinct wall yet,
but presume I will have the same problem there, only worse as the nails are
bigger. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you intended to use vinyl over the floor later I say, yes patch the
dimples. Vinyl will recess into the imperfections and show after
installed. Carpet. wood. or tile flooring as a replacement I would
not bother. I would patch any foundationn cracks crossing the room.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Toller

wrote in message
[...]

There is a crack. Small, but there. What do i patch it with?

Jack

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Run like water, thin epoxy, like the one its used for termite repair on wood
so it would fill the hairline or a little wider cracks.