Stormin Mormon

Default Cold Rheem

Working on a Rheem natural gas furnace. It's got the "jet" type burners.
Four burners. 80 percenter.

The inducer blows, the HSI heats, the gas lights. And lights all the way
across. About a second later, the gas shuts off. And, the whole thing goes
through the routine again.

The call came in Friday about 6 PM. Didn't have a sensor rod, so Monday I
bought one.

Now, even with a new sensor rod, and a new grounding screw, it's still the
same. Fires for a second, and then shuts down.

The furnace is a 1999 model now. Has had essentially no maint except for
filter changes.

I checked the ground to neutral at the furnace (less than one ohm) and the
connection between the terminal and the molex connector where it comes off
the main board. Also less than one ohm. Then checked the ground screw from
the sensor rod to the 110 VAC ground. Again, nothing.

Guess the only grounding thing I didn't check was that the ground wire from
the 110 VAC was connected to the case of the furnace. Is that relevant?

What else to check, or is it time to replace the board?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

RP

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Did you check the flame current? Why did you replace the sensor? Why are
you working on a system that you don't understand?

hvacrmedic

FDR

"RP" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

More importantly, whay aren't you asking the "professionals" over at
alt.hvac ? Or as they would tell you there, hire a "professional" LOL.

hvactech2

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:46:13 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

It's time to call someone who knows what they are doing.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Travis Jordan

Stormin Mormon wrote:
What else to check, or is it time to replace the board?

alt.hvac, not here. grin

Greg O

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What else to check, or is it time to replace the board?

--

Flame sense current, or continue to throw parts at it until something
sticks!

Stormin Mormon

No, I didn't check the current from the flame sensor. Supposed to be 2 to 4
microamps.

I'm working on a system that I don't understand cause it belongs to a friend
of mine. And, this is the kind of case where I learn all sorts of things
about trouble shooting.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"FDR" wrote in message

"RP" wrote in message

Did you check the flame current? Why did you replace the sensor? Why are
you working on a system that you don't understand?

hvacrmedic

More importantly, whay aren't you asking the "professionals" over at
alt.hvac ? Or as they would tell you there, hire a "professional" LOL.

Stormin Mormon

"someone" is singular, and "they" is plural. Can't use them in conjunction
like that. It isn't how them words are used.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"hvactech2" wrote in message

It's time to call someone who knows what they are doing.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Stormin Mormon

I'm running out of parts to throw. Seeing as how I replaced the flame sensor
already.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What else to check, or is it time to replace the board?

--

Flame sense current, or continue to throw parts at it until something
sticks!
Greg

Stormin Mormon

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry. Want me to donate to your cat shelter? (big grin)

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
Stormin Mormon wrote:
What else to check, or is it time to replace the board?

alt.hvac, not here. grin

Dr. Hardcrab

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Oh, I'm so terribly sorry. Want me to donate to your cat shelter? (big
grin)

Black and orange stray cat sittin' on a fence
Ain't got enough dough to pay the rent
I'm flat broke but I don't care
I strut right by with my tail in the air

Stray cat strut, I'm a ladies' cat,
A feline Casanova, hey man, thats where its at
Get a shoe thrown at me from a mean old man
Get my dinner from a garbage can

Yeah don't cross my path

I don't bother chasing mice around
I slink down the alley looking for a fight
Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry,
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy."

I wish I could be as carefree and wild,
but I got cat class and I got cat style.

I don't bother chasing mice around
I slink down the alley looking for a fight
Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry,
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy."

I wish I could be as carefree and wild,
but I got cat class and I got cat style.

TURTLE

[...]

This is Turtle.

I got into this years back on the 1988 to 2000 Rheem gas furnaces and depending
on the model you have , I saw 4 of them do the samething and end up calling
Rheem tech support for nothing would stick to regular trouble shooting thinking
and they ended up call all 4 as then and but 3 later. They said change the flame
sencer and if it did not work . Change the relay board. Rheem tech support would
not say why this was the cure.

TURTLE

RP

Stormin Mormon wrote:
No, I didn't check the current from the flame sensor. Supposed to be 2 to 4
microamps.

I'm working on a system that I don't understand cause it belongs to a friend
of mine. And, this is the kind of case where I learn all sorts of things
about trouble shooting.

What have you learned so far? And BTW who's paying for the new sensor
that it didn't need? What happens if you put a new board on it and it
still doesn't work? Do you know how to trouble shoot the board? Are you
willing to put your own money up on nothing other than possibility that
the board is at fault?

hvacrmedic

Stormin Mormon

Yes, that's about where I am, in the troubleshooting process.

One other person suggested to pull the burners, and give them a good
cleaning out. In case the fire isn't hot enough (on the very farthest burner
away from the gas valve). Might not be hot enough to be sensed.

However, it's looking more and more like time to change the board. Maybe a
new board will work better. I've got an OEM board from one parts house, and
then J'stone has an aftermarket board which is about 1/3 cheaper. Do you
only do OEM boards? I figure in this case, the aftermarket board might last
a while. This particular HO has next to no money.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"TURTLE" wrote in message

This is Turtle.

I got into this years back on the 1988 to 2000 Rheem gas furnaces and
depending
on the model you have , I saw 4 of them do the samething and end up calling
Rheem tech support for nothing would stick to regular trouble shooting
thinking
and they ended up call all 4 as then and but 3 later. They said change the
flame
sencer and if it did not work . Change the relay board. Rheem tech support
would
not say why this was the cure.

TURTLE

Stormin Mormon

That's really great. Scuse me while I cross post to a kitty board.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

[...]

Greg O

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'm running out of parts to throw. Seeing as how I replaced the flame
sensor
already.

--

Well Stormy, without knowing for sure what the flame sense microamps are it
could be anyone's guess. it may not be either the board or the flame rod,

TURTLE

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yes, that's about where I am, in the troubleshooting process.

One other person suggested to pull the burners, and give them a good
cleaning out. In case the fire isn't hot enough (on the very farthest burner
away from the gas valve). Might not be hot enough to be sensed.

However, it's looking more and more like time to change the board. Maybe a
new board will work better. I've got an OEM board from one parts house, and
then J'stone has an aftermarket board which is about 1/3 cheaper. Do you
only do OEM boards? I figure in this case, the aftermarket board might last
a while. This particular HO has next to no money.

--

Christopher A. Young

This is Turtle.

Stormy , I would be careful putting after market board on the Rheem 1988 to 2000
model gas furnaces. other years i would say different.

TURTLE

hot water from cold tap, and tankless heater Montego Home Repair 3 August 20th 05 03:25 AM
power shower problems mp UK diy 15 May 14th 05 03:35 PM
Hot water from cold tap simulet UK diy 1 May 31st 04 11:10 PM
Rheem 80 plus furnace blowing cold air Kam Home Repair 2 April 23rd 04 05:20 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM