Gntry

Default wonderboard vs. cement board

I noticed in "HomeDope" store they have two types of "backer board" for
laying tile over. the cement board that is very common and a newer type
called "wonder board" it's almost like a fiber type composite. anyone have
opinions about which one is better for installing a new tile floor? Seems
like this new fiber board would be easier to handle.

Mikepier

I always thought both were essentially the same thing.

Wonderboard is cement board, he might be thinking of the Hardiboard
stuff.

Opinions on it.... Hummm...

When I built my shower I used Wonderboard. I've seen showers that are
at least 20 years old and they are holding up just fine with Cement
(wonderboard)

The hardiboard stuff is promising though. It cuts VERY easy. You can
actually
nicely score and snap it. Wonderboard is a bit more difficult to work
with in that
respect.

I would say give it a shot, it can't hurt to try it. Any decent
backing for a shower is better than using drywall (greenboard or
regular).

Colbyt

"Gntry" wrote in message
newsGq6f.2766$%A1.414@trndny01...
I noticed in "HomeDope" store they have two types of "backer board" for
laying tile over. the cement board that is very common and a newer type
called "wonder board" it's almost like a fiber type composite. anyone have
opinions about which one is better for installing a new tile floor? Seems
like this new fiber board would be easier to handle.

Someone in this group named the wonderboard "crumblecrap".

I completely agree with their name. I have found the slick denser backer
boards to be far easier to move, cut and install. The James Hardie brand
even includes pre made dimpled areas for the nails or screws.

Colbyt

Gntry

I'm sorry, your right, it is called hardi-board. my project would be
replacing my hallway floor with ceramic tile. I just wanted to know what the
feelings were on the two types.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Wonderboard is cement board, he might be thinking of the Hardiboard
stuff.

Opinions on it.... Hummm...

When I built my shower I used Wonderboard. I've seen showers that are
at least 20 years old and they are holding up just fine with Cement
(wonderboard)

The hardiboard stuff is promising though. It cuts VERY easy. You can
actually
nicely score and snap it. Wonderboard is a bit more difficult to work
with in that
respect.

I would say give it a shot, it can't hurt to try it. Any decent
backing for a shower is better than using drywall (greenboard or
regular).

Kyle Boatright

I've used both products and prefer wonderboard. I can't tell a difference
between finished installations, but can tell you that I find the wonderboard
easier to work with.

"Gntry" wrote in message
newsGq6f.2766$%A1.414@trndny01...
I noticed in "HomeDope" store they have two types of "backer board" for
laying tile over. the cement board that is very common and a newer type
called "wonder board" it's almost like a fiber type composite. anyone have
opinions about which one is better for installing a new tile floor? Seems
like this new fiber board would be easier to handle.

Harry K

"Gntry" wrote in message
newsGq6f.2766$%A1.414@trndny01...
I noticed in "HomeDope" store they have two types of "backer board" for
laying tile over. the cement board that is very common and a newer type
called "wonder board" it's almost like a fiber type composite. anyone have
opinions about which one is better for installing a new tile floor? Seems
like this new fiber board would be easier to handle.

The last time I used it was about 20 years ago as the backer for a
stove, floor to ceiling with a gap top and bottom. Due to size it had
a seam 1/2 up. I discovered something I hadn't known. There is (or
was) a difference between the two faces. One face took the fake
rock/mortar just fine. The top part must have been turned around.
That face would not hold the rocks, they would stick a few seconds and
fall off. I finally cured it by giving it a thin wash with with mortar
(that stuck) and then the rocks went on with no further problems. At
least they are still there 20 years later.

Harry K

keith

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:56:53 +0000, Gntry wrote:

I noticed in "HomeDope" store they have two types of "backer board" for
laying tile over. the cement board that is very common and a newer type
called "wonder board" it's almost like a fiber type composite. anyone have
opinions about which one is better for installing a new tile floor? Seems
like this new fiber board would be easier to handle.

I've used them both and *far* prefer the "HardiBacker" (fiber type). It's
"easy" to cut and work with. It can be cut like sheetrock (not as easily)
but I prefer my Makita battery powered 3-3/8" circular saw. A carbide bit
in a roto-zip w/circle jig makes great circles for vents and toilets.

I've had the "cement" type crack enough that I was worried about its
integrity.

--
Keith