fnord

Default cement board in a shower installation

I'm going to be gutting and remodeling the bathroom soon (the kitchen
is just about done), and I'm having trouble finding info on how high up
to take the cement board.

Most of the pictures that I've seen show it coming up about 4 feet on
the wall, but it seems to me that you'd be better off taking it at
least as high as the shower surround, if not higher....

What do people recommend?

thanks,
John

AutoTracer

It should go as high up as you plan to tile at a minimum.

What I am not sure of is if it is OK to use as a backer for a painted or
wallpapered wall or if you need to switch back to gypsum board for that.

"fnord" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to be gutting and remodeling the bathroom soon (the kitchen
is just about done), and I'm having trouble finding info on how high up
to take the cement board.

Most of the pictures that I've seen show it coming up about 4 feet on
the wall, but it seems to me that you'd be better off taking it at
least as high as the shower surround, if not higher....

What do people recommend?

thanks,
John

JimL

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:37:17 GMT, "AutoTracer"
wrote:

It should go as high up as you plan to tile at a minimum.

What I am not sure of is if it is OK to use as a backer for a painted or
wallpapered wall or if you need to switch back to gypsum board for that.

I agree. Except in the shower, it should go from ceiling to pan.

"fnord" wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm going to be gutting and remodeling the bathroom soon (the kitchen
is just about done), and I'm having trouble finding info on how high up
to take the cement board.

Most of the pictures that I've seen show it coming up about 4 feet on
the wall, but it seems to me that you'd be better off taking it at
least as high as the shower surround, if not higher....

What do people recommend?

thanks,
John

Rudy

it seems to me that you'd be better off taking it at
least as high as the shower surround, if not higher....

What is the shower surround going to be comprised of..tile, one piece
f'glass, gelcoat plastic, man made "marble" panels ?

fnord

It will be either fiberglass or gelcoat.

Hmmmm..... so then it will be fiberglass *with* gelcoat.