Harry K

Default wonderboard vs. cement board

Kyle Boatright wrote:
I've used both products and prefer wonderboard. I can't tell a difference
between finished installations, but can tell you that I find the wonderboard
easier to work with.

"Gntry" wrote in message
newsGq6f.2766$%A1.414@trndny01...
I noticed in "HomeDope" store they have two types of "backer board" for
laying tile over. the cement board that is very common and a newer type
called "wonder board" it's almost like a fiber type composite. anyone have
opinions about which one is better for installing a new tile floor? Seems
like this new fiber board would be easier to handle.

The last time I used it was about 20 years ago as the backer for a
stove, floor to ceiling with a gap top and bottom. Due to size it had
a seam 1/2 up. I discovered something I hadn't known. There is (or
was) a difference between the two faces. One face took the fake
rock/mortar just fine. The top part must have been turned around.
That face would not hold the rocks, they would stick a few seconds and
fall off. I finally cured it by giving it a thin wash with with mortar
(that stuck) and then the rocks went on with no further problems. At
least they are still there 20 years later.

Harry K