';'%?PF ;/l.

Default More than 2 1/2 gpm shower faucets?

I broke my butt installing a new three handled shower and tub faucet
only to find that I am disappointed in the amount of water that flows
through it. I was told by the Ferguson parts supplier that a 2 1/2
gallon per minute faucet is standard, noone make a different faucet and
there is no way of increasing the flow. Is this correct? I cannot
believe it.

My questions a

1. Is there some resonable way to modify these faucets to increase the
flow?

2. Does someone make higher flow faucets?

The faucets I put in are Proflo # pfll43a from Ferguson.

Beachcomber

On 20 Oct 2005 11:19:19 -0700, "';'%?PF ;/l."
wrote:

I broke my butt installing a new three handled shower and tub faucet
only to find that I am disappointed in the amount of water that flows
through it. I was told by the Ferguson parts supplier that a 2 1/2
gallon per minute faucet is standard, noone make a different faucet and
there is no way of increasing the flow. Is this correct? I cannot
believe it.

My questions a

1. Is there some resonable way to modify these faucets to increase the
flow?

2. Does someone make higher flow faucets?

The faucets I put in are Proflo # pfll43a from Ferguson.

Low-Flow Shower Heads.... I don't like the sound of that....
(Seinfeld, circa 1997)

The (US) government requires that the heads sold in the US be low
flow. 2.5 gpm is the standard mamimum. If you open one up, you will
see that the flow restrictor is just a small hole that limits the
water flowing through it. You might be able to drill it out (at your
own risk, of course).

Beachcomber

';'%?PF ;/l.

It's not the shower head but the faucets themselves that do not pass
enough water even when the diverter is in the down position into the
tub.

';'%?PF ;/l. wrote:
I broke my butt installing a new three handled shower and tub faucet
only to find that I am disappointed in the amount of water that flows
through it. I was told by the Ferguson parts supplier that a 2 1/2
gallon per minute faucet is standard, noone make a different faucet and
there is no way of increasing the flow. Is this correct? I cannot
believe it.

My questions a

1. Is there some resonable way to modify these faucets to increase the
flow?

2. Does someone make higher flow faucets?

The faucets I put in are Proflo # pfll43a from Ferguson.

Do you want to increase the flow of the shower-head, or the faucet that
fills the tub? Showerheads usually have a flow-restrictor that you can
easily remove or drill out. If the faucet has an aerator, you might
want to check that. Often the aerator includes a flow-restrictor as
well.
I assume that whatever faucet(s) were installed previously had adequate
flow. If that wasn't the case the cause might be elsewhere, such as
(galvanized) pipes that are constricted by corrosion.
PipeDown

"';'%?PF ;/l." wrote in message
oups.com...
It's not the shower head but the faucets themselves that do not pass
enough water even when the diverter is in the down position into the
tub.

Probably isn't much you can do since the flow rate is spec'd by the
government and therefore designed into the products. Try taking out the
valve cartridge and looking for a way to modify it. Most can not be but
maybe you can see a way to enlarge the water channel in your particular
design. The restriction may be in the faucet body but I doubt it. I think
the spec is engineered into the cartridge. In some cases modifying the
aerator at the spout end can help improve flow.

';'%?PF ;/l.

The pipes are copper and yes there used to be more flow. I am pretty
sure it is the new fixture.

Dave

"';'%?PF ;/l." wrote in news:1129832359.146506.314250
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I broke my butt installing a new three handled shower and tub faucet
only to find that I am disappointed in the amount of water that flows
through it. I was told by the Ferguson parts supplier that a 2 1/2
gallon per minute faucet is standard, noone make a different faucet and
there is no way of increasing the flow. Is this correct? I cannot
believe it.

My questions a

1. Is there some resonable way to modify these faucets to increase the
flow?

2. Does someone make higher flow faucets?

The faucets I put in are Proflo # pfll43a from Ferguson.

When ever I get a new shower head, the first thing I do is knock out the
flow restrictor.

Edwin Pawlowski

"';'%?PF ;/l." wrote in message
My questions a

1. Is there some resonable way to modify these faucets to increase the
flow?

2. Does someone make higher flow faucets?

You should be asking "How can I improve the FEEL of the shower?"

It is not just the volume, but the dispersion that makes a difference. I
have a low flow shower from Saver Shower
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...ad-117655.aspx

It feels better than any of the fancy heads, adjustable spray, massages,
etc. I prefer it over some of the older larger flow showers. .
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Peter H

"';'%?PF ;/l." wrote in message
oups.com...
I broke my butt installing a new three handled shower and tub faucet
only to find that I am disappointed in the amount of water that flows
through it. I was told by the Ferguson parts supplier that a 2 1/2
gallon per minute faucet is standard, noone make a different faucet and
there is no way of increasing the flow. Is this correct? I cannot
believe it.

My questions a

1. Is there some resonable way to modify these faucets to increase the
flow?

2. Does someone make higher flow faucets?

The faucets I put in are Proflo # pfll43a from Ferguson.

Sounds obvious, but you must have had the water shut off to do the plumbing.
Did you open it fully when done?

Peter H

Brad Bruce

"Peter H" wrote in
:

"';'%?PF ;/l." wrote in message
oups.com...
I broke my butt installing a new three handled shower and tub faucet
only to find that I am disappointed in the amount of water that flows
through it. I was told by the Ferguson parts supplier that a 2 1/2
gallon per minute faucet is standard, noone make a different faucet
and there is no way of increasing the flow. Is this correct? I cannot
believe it.

My questions a

1. Is there some resonable way to modify these faucets to increase
the flow?

2. Does someone make higher flow faucets?

The faucets I put in are Proflo # pfll43a from Ferguson.

Sounds obvious, but you must have had the water shut off to do the
plumbing. Did you open it fully when done?

Peter H

I can see a restricter on a shower head, but a faucet???? That would
take forever to fill the tub......

Brad

Edwin Pawlowski

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I can see a restricter on a shower head, but a faucet???? That would
take forever to fill the tub......

Brad

Good point. I use the downstairs stall shower and the upstairs tub hardly
gets any water in it when I do.
http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/L3175sp.pdf

Charles Krug

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:29:45 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I can see a restricter on a shower head, but a faucet???? That would
take forever to fill the tub......

Brad

Good point. I use the downstairs stall shower and the upstairs tub hardly
gets any water in it when I do.
http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/L3175sp.pdf

Removing the restrictor takes about a minute.

Goedjn

On 20 Oct 2005 13:44:31 -0700, "';'%?PF ;/l."
wrote:

The pipes are copper and yes there used to be more flow. I am pretty
sure it is the new fixture.

You can always replace the fixture with a couple full-port ball valves
and a copper 'T'. Or put in another faucet at the head of the tub,
so you can add hot water without having to stir.

Leaking Tile Shower [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 31st 05 11:51 PM
Shower stall wall faucets Norm Dion Home Repair 5 July 4th 05 04:39 AM
Power shower electrical shocks Dave UK diy 4 June 4th 04 07:54 PM
Shower leak Dan Harms Home Repair 8 October 21st 03 01:03 AM
Shower screen grumble... David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 September 5th 03 05:49 PM