Greg Esres

Default Drywall Gun Technique

I bought a DeWalt drywall gun to fix some nail pops, and I can't seem
to master the technique. The screwdriver head just starts to spin in
the slot when the screw reaches depth, rather than disengaging the
clutch. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
m Ransley

Doesnt it have an adjustment for torque.

Greg Esres

Doesnt it have an adjustment for torque.

Just the trigger.

Abe

I bought a DeWalt drywall gun to fix some nail pops, and I can't seem
to master the technique. The screwdriver head just starts to spin in
the slot when the screw reaches depth, rather than disengaging the
clutch. What am I doing wrong?

You have to set the screw depth/clutch disengage point on the collar.
Try various settings on a scrap to find the correct setting.

Greg Esres

Which model is it?

A DeWalt DW257.

It has worked a few times, maybe 1 out of 10.

Greg Esres

You have to set the screw depth/clutch disengage point on the
collar. Try various settings on a scrap to find the correct
setting.

I have done so, but regardless of the setting, the clutch should
disengage at *some* depth, right? Not just spin in the slot.

Abe

A DeWalt DW257.
It has worked a few times, maybe 1 out of 10.

From the Manual:

TO CHANGE BIT HOLDERS:
1. Pull forward on adjustment collar and remove from clutch housing.
2. Pull bit holder straight out with pliers if it is difficult to
remove.
3. Push new bit holder into spindle until ball lock snaps in groove in
bit holder shank.
4. Replace adjustment collar by snapping over retaining ring.

CHANGING BIT TIP
1. Pull forward on adjustment collar and remove it from clutch housing
(see Figure 3).
2. Use pliers to remove worn bit and install new bit tip.

DEPTH ADJUSTMENT:
Follow the graphic on the collar to increase or decrease the fastening
depth. To seat the screw deeper in the workpiece, turn the adjustment
collar to the right. To seat the screw higher in the workpiece, turn
the adjustment collar to the left.
Abe

You have to set the screw depth/clutch disengage point on the
collar. Try various settings on a scrap to find the correct
setting.

I have done so, but regardless of the setting, the clutch should
disengage at *some* depth, right? Not just spin in the slot.

You are screwing into a stud, yes? It won't work if you are not. Not
enough torque.

If you are going into a stud, then I'd say the unit is defective.

Abe

You are screwing into a stud, yes? It won't work if you are not. Not
enough torque.

I meant to say, "not enough resistance" (not torque)

Greg Esres

You are screwing into a stud, yes? It won't work if you are not. Not
enough torque. If you are going into a stud, then I'd say the unit is
defective.

My stud finder says there's a stud back there. ;-) I wonder if the
drywall could have pulled far enough away that the screw didn't find
it?

The times that the machine worked I felt a sudden bite and tug into
the wall, as if the screw suddenly found the stud.

Abe

The times that the machine worked I felt a sudden bite and tug into
the wall, as if the screw suddenly found the stud.

That's it. You're missing the stud. Try 1/2" over left or right.
Greg Esres

That's it. You're missing the stud. Try 1/2" over left or right

Thanks for your help.

rider89

for drywall screws, the driver cannot stop (clutch) according to torque,
because each driven screw will have a different amount of torque resistance.
No two pieces of lumber alike, etc. At a constant amount of torque, some
screws would set high, others low.
The bit coming out of the screw is normal, and the only way to set the screw
head at a constant depth, relative to the surrounding drywall surface.

Bill

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
news
You have to set the screw depth/clutch disengage point on the
collar. Try various settings on a scrap to find the correct
setting.

I have done so, but regardless of the setting, the clutch should
disengage at *some* depth, right? Not just spin in the slot.

Greg Esres

Are you using 1" screws? Try 1 1/4". I've found that if the drywall
is

No, I am using 1 1/4". I think the drywall is bowed out a bit, which
is why it wasn't biting. Pushing on the wall seems to help.

Thanks.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:38:56 -0400, NickySantoro
wrote:

Are you using 1" screws? Try 1 1/4". I've found that if the drywall is
far enough from the stud, sometimes a 1" screw can't quite get a bite
and just spins.

Greg Esres

the driver cannot stop (clutch) according to torque,

I didn't think that was the way it worked. I assume that the shroud
around the bit stops at the drywall, and when the bit extends past a
certain point, the clutch disengages.