Junior Member

Default adding heater to finished second story

I have an old 'story and a half' home with the master bedroom upstairs in basically what is a finished attic. Currently, the gas heater does not have any vents up there. I'm needing to run some heat up, but was thinking I may as well go with electric, since gas is so expensive now anyway. Has anyone tried Broan Register Heaters?? The room is about 300 square feet and I would just be wanting to warm it up for a few hours at night and an hour in the morning or so.

I have used a 220v cadet forced air heater in a gazebo. It works very
well, and was easy to install. The 220v models are great if you can
pick up 220 from the service panel. The 120v are ok, but will dim the
lights more so than a 220 unit. I know the cadet line was recalled a
few years ago, but they went out of business and are now owned by a
different company, with supposedly better quality. The unit I bought
was of seemingly high quality. A word of advice though- On the cadet
"Com-Pak plus" which I have, the screws for the front grille actually
go into the wall surface, so be VERY precise when cutting the hole. I
think my heater cost about 100.00 about two months ago.

Joseph Meehan

ashroyer wrote:
I have an old 'story and a half' home with the master bedroom upstairs
in basically what is a finished attic. Currently, the gas heater does
not have any vents up there. I'm needing to run some heat up, but was
thinking I may as well go with electric, since gas is so expensive now
anyway. Has anyone tried Broan Register Heaters?? The room is about
300 square feet and I would just be wanting to warm it up for a few
hours at night and an hour in the morning or so.

Yes the price of gas is up. The price of electricity is also up, but
not as much in most areas. However almost everywhere the cost of gas is far
cheaper per unit of heat produced that electric. With the exception of a
few places with very low eclectic prices (generally gas is not available)
and areas where cooling is more important than heat (think Florida) and you
are talking heat pump, gas is still considerably cheaper.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Yes the price of gas is up. The price of electricity is also up, but
not as much in most areas.

For the moment, because of regulatory delays.

Nick

Robertm

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
ashroyer wrote:
[...]

My choice in rural Tennessee is propane vs. electric. Propane here is
prohibitively expensive but one must have backup because the electric goes
off if it rains, if the wind blows or if someone is having a bad day. The
plus side is that in exchange for letting the TVA ruin the environment, we
get cheap power.

Bob

George

Joseph Meehan wrote:
ashroyer wrote:

[...]

Good advice, I have already talked two friends out of putting in
electric space heating equipment because of "huge gas costs". Even if
the cost of natural gas doubled and electric has no increase natural gas
would still be less expensive in our area which has fairly typical rates.