SteveB

Default Suzie Homemaker Question

I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some pinyon and
pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in that will take out
the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and she will notice if I use
anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.

Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you
use?

Steve

Jmagerl

I've always used paintthinner and than waited till the wife was away to run
it thru the washer.
She can smell paint thinner a mile away so I also usually let it sit in the
sun for a few days before washing (the dryer also doesnt recommend paint
thinner in it). (You can also do some staining or varnishing in the basement
too so you can blame the smell on that)
Now you know why I'm not allowed anywhere near the wash machine. That and
washing the lawnmower grass catcher in it (Hey, its clean, and works like
new. THe grass catcher, not the washer)(and I never ever have to do laundry)

"SteveB" wrote in message
I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some pinyon and
pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in that will take out
the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and she will notice if I use
anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.

Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you
use?

Steve

John Grabowski

I have had good luck using Goop Hand Cleaner. I have used it on adhesives
and roofing cement that got on my work clothes. I buy it at the
supermarket. Smear it on the spot and let it sit for 30 - 60 minutes before
putting it in the washing machine. I've never seen any residue in the
washer.

"SteveB" wrote in message
I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some pinyon

and
pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in that will take out
the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and she will notice if I use
anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.

Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you
use?

Steve

SteveB

"Jmagerl" wrote in message
I've always used paintthinner and than waited till the wife was away to
run it thru the washer.
She can smell paint thinner a mile away so I also usually let it sit in
the sun for a few days before washing (the dryer also doesnt recommend
paint thinner in it). (You can also do some staining or varnishing in the
basement too so you can blame the smell on that)
Now you know why I'm not allowed anywhere near the wash machine. That and
washing the lawnmower grass catcher in it (Hey, its clean, and works like
new. THe grass catcher, not the washer)(and I never ever have to do
laundry)

I learned that lesson when I was about eight and was called on to dry the
dishes. After I dropped a couple, I was never asked again.

Steve

zxcvbob

SteveB wrote:
I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some pinyon and
pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in that will take out
the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and she will notice if I use
anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.

Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you
use?

Steve

I would use turpentine to get out on pine sap. But you can try just
rubbing it with bar soap first if you are there to inspect it when it
comes out of the washer before it goes in the dryer, in case you have to
try again.

Bob
Suzie-Q

-
- Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you
- use?
-
- Steve

Maybe they can help in alt.home.cleaning. Laundry questions are
asked there frequently.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Angrie.Woman

zxcvbob wrote:
SteveB wrote:

I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some
pinyon and pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in
that will take out the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and
she will notice if I use anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK,
lacquer thinner, etc.

Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do
you use?

Steve

I would use turpentine to get out on pine sap. But you can try just
rubbing it with bar soap first if you are there to inspect it when it
comes out of the washer before it goes in the dryer, in case you have to
try again.

Lighter fluid is what I would reach for first.

Tom O'Connor

Pine Sol cleaner works wonders.

John Smith

SteveB wrote:

I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some pinyon and
pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in that will take out
the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and she will notice if I use
anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.

Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you
use?

My goodness don't use something anywhere near as harsh as acetone, thinners,
etc for laundry. Pine sap is a big pain at first but is actually quiet easy to
deal with. Simple cooking oil applied to clothes or anything it lands on will
get rid of fairly quickly. I even had some pine sap drip on my (polycarbonate)
headlights and cooking oil got rid of it without damaging the lights at all.
Harsh chemicals pollute via your septic or sewer system and will also cause
problems with the normal breakdown of sewage. In addition you can easily
damage your plumbing or washing machine.

A little pre handwashing with ammonia and detergent will work wonders. I've
heard of good results with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol or even freezing your
clothes so the sap becomes brittle and can easily be chipped off.

As a very last resort try a minimal amount of mineral spirits but not in the
washing machine. Hand soak it first, remove the spirits and then wash it.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM