Alex O.

Default Humidifier question

Hello people,

Hope you won't mind a couple of questions.

I used to have a drum humidifier on the furnace (General Aire model 81
-
http://www.generalaire.com/humidifie...747L_final.pdf)
which served me faithfully until it broke about a year ago. The house
is about 2,500 sq.ft. and I could get the humidity to 40% with no
problems.

As a replacement, a friend recommended the flow-through (Wait 6000 -
http://www.airkinglimited.com/airkin...ead&art_id=259),
which I installed.

The problem is that the new humidifier does not seem to get the job
done. Last winter, I could not get the humidity above 15% although the
humidistat was set to max and the humidifier was turning on and off
with the furnace.

I spent some time on the phone with Air King support and it seems that
everything was installed and operating as intended. Except the results

So, I need to replace the humidifier with a model that will do the job
and I have some questions:

Is this a general problem with the flow-through humidifiers or did I
just get a crappy (or underpowered) model?

Should I go back to a drum model? I was quite happy with the one that
I had, except that the hard water tended to petrify the sponge after
one season.

What's the deal with the flow-through anyway? They seem less
water-efficient.

In any case, what models would be recommended?

Thank you very much for your time,
Alex.

Alex O. wrote:

...Last winter, I could not get the humidity above 15% although the
humidistat was set to max and the humidifier was turning on and off
with the furnace.

Caulk the house...

Nick

Joseph Meehan

Alex O. wrote:
[...]

First I suggest you make sure the one you have is working as it should.
Has the media been replaced, is it properly installed, are you running cold
or hot water to it?

It would be rather difficult for someone here to be able to recommend a
unit without knowing your situation, what furnace, what size, and maybe some
information about your home, like size, location, construction, existing or
non-existing vapor barriers, etc.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I highly recommend the Aprilair powered units. They use a small fan to
blow air across a cartridge type media. I've never been a big fan of
the bypass units.

Having said that, I'm very surprised that a 2500 sqft house with any
working furnace mounted humidifier would be at only 15% humidity. Are
you sure your humidity gauge is correct?

m Ransley

Be sure your unit is working , it may simply have a calcified valve,
line or orifice reducing water flow. Without knowing the gallons per day
output of your old and present unit who can say what you need. April air
has a model with an outdoor thermometer that is set and forget to give
you the optimum humidity without the dangers of condensation, I am happy
with mine.

J.D.

Aprillaire Recomends the use of hot water if you are
using the humidifier on the cold air return duct or not geting enought
humidity output.I've had two Aprilaire units and like them both. if you have
hard water or softened water you pretty much have to have a drain type,
other wise you could go back to the drum type.
I'm assuming the manufacturer had you check the water flow from the
discharge to make sure the unit was getting water ?

ups.com...

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Humidifier Question nospamplease Home Repair 62 December 8th 04 04:40 AM
humidifier and uv lamp question john Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 11:53 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM